Cute little brooch, green shoe.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Vic23, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Vic23

Vic23 Member

Hi, does anyone have an idea if this cute (very small) brooch is contemporary, or maybe a bit older, like retro or vintage? All insight is appreciated.
    Vic
    161084495_496974761320229_7836714893442571210_n.jpg 161459093_475289763499002_6609300563765496958_n.jpg

KSW likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's a funny little thing. Size? Material? Any marks? And is clasp a safety pin?

Debora

KSW and Vic23 like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm trying to work out if it's enamel.

KSW and Vic23 like this.
  4. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

Piece looks like a more contemporary molded resin to my eye. That is not to say it isn't from the 80's or 90's.... Someone with more experience in costume may chime in on the bit though :)

KSW and Vic23 like this.
  5. Vic23

Vic23 Member

Thanks for all the replies.

KSW likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looking very much like a safety pin....

KSW and Vic23 like this.
  7. Vic23

Vic23 Member

It is plastic.

KSW likes this.
  8. Vic23

Vic23 Member

I haven't found any marks. The clasp is like a safety pin indeed. It is really small, less then 1.5 inch at the longest.

KSW likes this.
  9. Vic23

Vic23 Member

Thanks, its possible.

KSW likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

What color is it? (Looks dark green on my screen but suspect it may be black.)

Debora

KSW likes this.
  11. Vic23

Vic23 Member

It is dark green.

12. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

The pin closure looks European to me. U.S. jewelry seldom has that type pin closure. I'd say French. It probably had a bunch of siblings in other accessory styles, colors. Like handbags, gloves, hats, etc.

Would be used as socalled scatter pins on the front of a sweater or cardigan. That fashion was first popular in the 1940s into the 1950s and has since seen revival attempts.

If well made, it could have been a designer line to relaunch the scatter pin fashion. Jewelry designers often made smaller lines to round out their main styles. It could even have been designed as jewelry for dolls if very small.

I'd expect it's well made because this type of pin back closure is not wasted on cheap jewelry, they'd just have a basic C-hook. Handcrafted artisan jewelry also have mostly C-hooks. Artisans hardly ever spent money on the type of better pin closure seen on this brooch.

Vic23 likes this.
  13. Vic23

Vic23 Member

Thank you for the interesting answer. It makes sense that it might be European, I live in Europe and bought it here. I would say it is well made.
    Do you think it is contemporary, or hard to tell?

14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

This looks like its back is a real live safety pin embedded into the resin. The shoe design is pure 1920s, but the safety pin itself is probably 1980s or later. The only time I've seen that done, the pins were Russian. Which doesn't mean much.

Vic23 likes this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    One of my friends used to buy pins like these with a safety pin back in the 1970s here in New York. She must have had 50 or 60. Lots of people selling home made things like that back then.
    greg

Vic23 likes this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm going to disagree re shoe style. I see more of a 1930s silhouette. But it's a fantasy shoe. The toe a little too pointed and the heel a little too high to fit neatly into anyone era. I'm with Greg on this one; my best guess would 1970s. Lots of interest in retro then and the deep green colorway fits the era.

Debora

il_1140xN.2456533879_60wl.jpg

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Forget the pins, I WANT THOSE SHOES. Someone else will yell dibs on the doggie.

Vic23 likes this.
  18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I love the 1930s shoe silhouette. Like a little hoof.

Debora

Vic23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted