Featured Czech bead necklace ID

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Apr 13, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'm kicking myself. Yesterday morning I saw a necklace on a Facebook group with these double bead caps to look like flowers and they were attributed to a maker. I didn't pay enough attention to it to remember who it was. Clearing out my hoard a few hours later I found the exact same necklace but I'm da**ed if I can find the Facebook post again :banghead:.
    Anyone any ideas? I've posted on my groups with no joy.
    IMG_2450.jpg IMG_2451.jpg IMG_2452.jpg

stracci, judy, Any Jewelry and 9 others like this.
  2. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

@KSW I saw that post too...Vintage Jewelry of Bohemia

judy, KSW and PortableTreasures like this.
  3. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Sorry, I just re-read that post and realize you were asking the same question there. I think there is a Czech group also...?

judy and KSW like this.
  4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks @wenna I think I tracked it down now to Jakob Bengel. Now trying to verify. Some lovely jewellery on that FB page. Give me a wave next time you are there :)

judy, kyratango and wenna like this.
  5. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Will do!

judy, KSW and kyratango like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Jakob Bengel jewellery is extremely Art Deco, and he used early plastics like galalith, usually with minimalist chrome. Your pretty neclace would have been far too fussy for him. I think you first thought of Czech is much more likely.

Classic Jakob Bengel designs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I've looked through a hundred Jakob Bengel necklaces and most are Galalith and not like this. I've found a couple, one the same as this and one with purple glass that the owners swear they are JB. I've also got people queuing up to buy it who have seen it on FB :confused:so my snout tells me I need to keep researching. I've emailed someone with a private collection and will report back!.

Any Jewelry, wenna and judy like this.
  8. Alma Rose

Alma Rose Member

Any luck with this as I have one identical? There's one on ebay with the caps that's listed as Jakob Bengel. I found mine in a charity / thrift shop. Thanks

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    KSW and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Alma Rose

Alma Rose Member

I can post a photo if you need?

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    judy, KSW and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, please, we love to see jewellery. And welcome, Alma Rose.

judy and KSW like this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@KSW
    I love the pieces you show. You have an amazing stash.

I was wondering if in the future, for your necklaces, if you could start showing a picture of the full length.
    When you show pictures of the necklaces all wound up I have a hard time trying to see the pattern outlay of the beads.
    It may just be me and my mixed up brain. Others might not be so challenged.

If you are selling online one of these would be helpful - fairly inexpensive. They come in different heights.
    [​IMG]

12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Welcome Alma Rose :).
    The link with Jakob Bengel seems to be wishful thinking on the Ebay sellers part!. I contacted someone who has a huge collection of JB for sale and she thinks not. I emailed the eBay buyer asking for her sources of claiming it was JB and let’s just say I wasn’t convinced at all so it remains unattributed at the moment. Having said that I had 4 people on FB clamouring to buy them so I’m biding my time in case a maker comes to light!.

Houseful, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Lol, Thanks Cluttered :), my stash is rather eclectic as I collect odds and ends that interest me to research rather than follow one path. I’m not enthused by modern stuff and I LOVE old glass beads!. Point taken about my presentation :hilarious:, I will make sure I show a full length photo in future :). I’m never sure about the model neck things as I find it frustrating when I can’t see the clasp but most people are going to be interested in the front!. I haven’t sold many individual items, more joblots of the bits and pieces that I don’t love but I must shift some of my other pieces so I think I will invest in one.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Two pictures.
    One of the necklace on the stand, one a close up of the clasp.
    Many necklaces are too long for some of the stands. So you probably need two stands a short one and a tall one.

judy and KSW like this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Great advice CC. Thankyou :)

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  16. Alma Rose

Alma Rose Member

I will post later today! How exciting! I have a couple if other necklaces that I have bought for resale but have hung on to as they are so lovely. My obsessions are glass and plastic (Bakelite). Infact I just love pretty things. I'm based in the UK. I also like Georgian glass. Most of my stuff is picked up in charity shops. Lovely to make contact with you all x

Houseful, judy and KSW like this.
  17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'm in the UK too :).
    Look forwards to seeing your treasures.

judy likes this.
  18. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Ditto with KSW.
    Welcome Alma Rose:)

KSW likes this.
  19. Alma Rose

Alma Rose Member

Hello found all of these in thrift shops and paid no more than £4 for any of them. Had every intention of selling but I can't bear to part with them. Let me know what you think! Thanks

Attached Files:

20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

You've a good eye. Can you start a new thread for these? That blue one with spatter gold is Venetian, I have its twin.

Draft saved Draft deleted