Czech Brooch Made of Old Buttons?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Kronos, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Another piece from a recent lot. This one looks to me like someone took 4 buttons and made a brooch out of them. There looks to be part of a shank left on one on the back. The way the look and how much they weigh I almost think they might be low grade gold. I did try 10k acid but it dissolved the test line.

Each lion design on the discs looks to be hand done, as they are similar but don't quite match.

Any thoughts on the piece are welcome. Thanks for looking. I'll see if I can get better photos once my camera is done charging. Having to use my phone atm. bt.jpg bt2.jpg

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Withdrawn. :smuggrin:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe made from uniform buttons from different periods, hence the different lions?
    Just wondering, what made you think it is Czech?

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  4. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Well, the double tailed lion with a crown is part of their Coat of Arms (Bohemia). Plus it came with the other pieces I made a post about, so I figured it was a safe guess.

Christmasjoy, Fid and i need help like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

You're right, so it is, I hadn't noticed the double tail. But only of Bohemia, not Moravia, which has an eagle.
    That would make it Bohemian, not really Czech, because it is minus Moravia.;)
    The pin hinge together with the length of the pin past the clasp looks ca 1890, which is also pre-Czech.
    If you want to sell it, it is best to use terms like Austro-Hungarian and Bohemian.
    Czech not only refers to a later period, but also has connotations with a certain type of costume jewellery.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  6. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Ah, I see. Thank you. Always fun to learn something from the odd things I happen to find.

Here are a few more larger pictures to show how each disc seems to be different, and not just stamped. Also, the one larger disc with what looks like a broken shank is concave, while the others are more flat.

bt3.jpg bt4.jpg

7. i need help

5D6E82D3-2826-4F5D-A889-A2592D3356C7.jpeg I was looking at the wavey lines in the background. The closest I found was Luxemburg. A crowned lion, forked tail and straight stripes. Or not, maybe somewhere else or just decorative. :joyful:

Any Jewelry, Kronos and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  9. i need help

10. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Some of them seem to get rather angry at having their tails split.:eek:
    I can only think of the Zeeland lion from the SW Netherlands, where the wavy lines are water. Zeeland (sealand) is a province with several islands, forever battling against the sea. Of course it is different:
    [​IMG]

Luxemburg and the Netherlands were once one country btw. They still have the same flag, only the Luxemburg one has faded a little (sorry Luxemburg), they must be missing us.;)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    i need help likes this.
  12. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

The more I look at this, the more I wonder if it's more "fashion" than heraldry.

Kitty's front paws are awkwardly posed and, well, just plain awkward -- and he's not even sticking his tongue out.

When you look at him, really look at him, doesn't he look like he'd be happier skipping through a nursery rhyme than on some stuffy coat of arms?

Draft saved Draft deleted