Featured czech uranium glass perfume bottle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by charlie cheswick, Feb 29, 2020.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

hi guys

does anyone know if this is a 1930s bottle or earlier

cant find one just like it

marked Czechoslovakia to base

think it might be missing a piece, would it of had one of those puffer things attached

the top unscrews with a metal rod inside

hopefully someone will want it just for the glass

any help appreciated

u1.jpg u2.jpg u3.jpg u4.jpg u5.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

GORGEOUS with that light on it!!!!!!!:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It's called an atomizer perfume and you can buy replacement pieces I believe.

Senior moment, what's peggy's siggy? collects perfumes.

4. Aquitaine

5. Aquitaine

6. Aquitaine

@bercrystal ?

7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

My guess would be 30's into 40's. It appears to be missing the puffer ball at the very least. It would have fit over the small metal extension on the side of the head.

Is there still a draw tube inside? The earliest ones were metal, then changed to glass & eventually made of plastic as they are still are today.

8. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I looked a lot, but....

charlie cheswick likes this.
  9. bercrystal

Sorry I missed that part. :oops:

A metal draw tube would date this bottle from between 1918 (when Czechoslovakia was formed) & the mid to late 1920's.

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

lovely. art déco at its best. may have been produced for a shop in Paris.
    or New York.

11. charlie cheswick

thanks for the help aquitaine, thread would have gone missing without ya, a star you really are :kiss:

Aquitaine likes this.
  12. charlie cheswick

thanks for the info everyone

i was gonna sell as it was, but since the glass is in perfect nick, i think it might be worth restoring it a bit

the metal i would think would be hard to clean up though, would it be steel ?

DSC06723.jpg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  13. Aquitaine

I might try a bit of 000 or 0000 grade steel wool......might just spiff it up nicely! Of course others might have better suggestions???

14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. I always start with nevr-dull polishing cotton before using steel wool.

15. bercrystal

Now that I see a better picture of the hardware I can tell that your bottle is missing the part that the puffer bulb would have fit onto. There is very little chance of you restoring this bottle so that it could be used again.

I also would not do any polishing up of the hardware as is wasn't likely very shiny to begin with when it was new.

The majority of collectors of perfume bottles understand if you buy a bottle that already has, or is fast approaching, antique status chances are you are not going to get one in pristine condition.

JMHO

16. charlie cheswick

thanks for the info Peggy, thats good to know. the hole on the top metal part has a internal screw thread, so i guess the puffer might have screwed in some how, perhaps with a chord of some kind

17. bercrystal

Either that or the little extension piece screwed into the hole & the puffer screwed into that. Hard to say for sure.

The bottle is unusual & I think would sell to a collector all by itself.

18. Kathy Anderson

Kathy Anderson Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted