Featured Czechoslovakia black glass scent bottles.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LucyLocket, Dec 5, 2022.

1. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

I recently bought these three perfume/scent bottles - only wanted the pretty porcelain one but they were sold 20221205_145128.jpg 20221205_142049.jpg 20221205_141958.jpg 20221205_141338.jpg 20221205_141622.jpg 20221205_141422.jpg 20221205_141537.jpg as a set!
    Black glass with gold tone filigree and coloured stones, one green and one orange. Both have screw caps with glass droppers. There is a small lozenge on each cap with Czechoslovakia stamped on it, one bottle also has "made in Czechoslovakia" etched on the base. They are a fraction under 3 inches high.
    Not sure what sort of age they would be - Art Deco or more modern? I found lots of Czech glass and filigree scent bottles when searching online but none quite like these.
    Any thoughts/input would be much appreciated.

2. Neece

Neece Active Member

This one has the same marking ("czecho" line one "slovakia" line two) as yours and looks similar in size and style. Unfortunately, it doesn't lead to additional information.

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. LucyLocket

Thank you for finding this - it is very similar to mine. Looks like the Etsy seller didn't know the age either - played safe by describing it as "vintage"!

4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

There is no question these are vintage at a minimum. Question is whether they bordering on antique.

I think they are really cute. If we were bidding together I would have let you take the porcelain one and I'd have happily taken these!

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That marking on both glass and jewellery is typically between the wars.

6. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

these jeweled miniature czech perfume bottles are generally associated with a maker/distributor named IRICE

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. LucyLocket

Just as well we all like different things! I'm not at all keen on the Czech ones but love the pastel coloured, hand painted porcelain. I'm always on the lookout for one to add to my small (for now) collection!

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. LucyLocket

Thanks - I shall look into that name.

komokwa likes this.
  9. LucyLocket

Thanks for that - my thought that they might possibly be Art Deco wasn't so far out then!

komokwa likes this.
  10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Circa the 1930s for sure. They may have been sold by the Irice Import Co. but my reference book has them as mystery bottles as far as the maker & the importer.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  11. LucyLocket

Thanks - I have searched both bottles but can't find any makers mark, just "made in Czechoslovakia" so yes, a mystery they will remain!

komokwa and bercrystal like this.
  12. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

You are very welcome!! :happy::kiss::kiss:

I just realized I did not state what reference book I was using. :oops::oops::bag:

The book is "Perfume Bottles for Purse & Dresser From Czechoslovakia 1920s to 1930s" by Verna J. Koken. I know Verna from the perfume bottle group we both belong to the IPBA or International Perfume Bottle Association. The book was published in 2006 & she has been collecting perfume bottles for over 40 years.

BTW did you happen to notice your inbox at the top right of the page? ;):happy::happy:

komokwa likes this.
  13. LucyLocket

Thank you - I shall see if I can find a copy of that book.
    I had seen that there was a message in my inbox but thought it was just telling me that someone had replied to my post - just clicked on it & saw your message! Can't believe I've only just discovered how it works!

komokwa and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted