Czechoslovakian majolica Help Please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bdigger, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Bought Czechoslovakian Majolica Bowl Today at the Flea Market for $25. Wondering if I paid too much. Marked on the bottom with what looks like LDB Co. Would appreciate it if anybody has any insight on it. I'm off to do some googling to see what I can find out.! I LOVE the colors!
    002 (640x553).jpg 005 (640x583).jpg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Just wanted to say that I love this! I hope you find something, or that somebody here has some info.

3. Bdigger

Thanks Figtree. It is even better looking in person. The colors are sooo vibrant. So far I have found thad LBD Co. Most likely was an importer between 1890 and 1914. But I can't believe that this is that old.

4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I don't believe there was a Czechoslovakia until 1918? So your pot (LOVELY!) would have been after that.

5. Bdigger

You are correct. That helps! or just confuses me more. I'm not sure which LOL

6. Figtree3

To me the word CzechoSlovakia on the bottom is imprinted in a style of lettering that looks later than early 20th century.

7. Figtree3

8. Bdigger

Yes Figtree. The first link is what I read that said the Comapny was active 1890 to 1914 and since Czhecoslovakia wasn't founded until 1918. I'm pretty sure that is not the case.

The live Auction Link I did not see. But thank you for adding it. It appears to be the same bowl with the colors reversed.

There are a couple current auctions on Ebay for the same bowl with different color combos. One has a chip. Mark is the same and all I have seen have the 8018 which I'm Guessing is a style or mold number

9. Figtree3

The person who wrote that page was careful to say that they were "claimed to have been operational between the 1890s and 1914." Also, I think they may be talking about the Flambeau mark... It's confusingly worded. But the person who wrote the page seems to be saying that they read elsewhere about the dates, and are not verifying them. So we do know when Czechoslovakia existed and no reason to think the company didn't exist for a long time.

10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

11. Bdigger

Thank you Kentworld. I searched eBay and did not come up with the completed Auction! I appreciate the help!

12. Czechman

Czechman New Member

Hi, Your bowl is Art Deco era, 20's 30's.. not a bad price! unfortunately Czech Pottery has plummeted in price in the last 10 yrs even the really rare more desirable pieces has suffered in price decline.. I collected Czech pottery for almost 20 yrs until the glass bug bit me and I stopped buying pottery about 10 yrs ago.. I have sold most of my "good stuff" and still have several pieces left.. it makes me sad to see piece that used to sell for $200 - 300$ will not even sell today for $85. !! its a nice bowl enjoy it :)

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. Czechman

Czechman New Member

Oh, and originally there would have been two candle holders with the bowl..

14. Bdigger

Czechman. Thank you so much for the info! I appreciate you taking the time to look and comment! It is a beautiful piece!

Czechman likes this.
  15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Here's the history of what the country was called at different times from wikipedia.org...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czechoslovakia

Draft saved Draft deleted