D H Lawrence Birds, Beasts and Flowers

Discussion in 'Books' started by Nathan Lindop, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Hi everyone,

Just needed to pick some brains about why some 1923 editions of Birds beasts and flowers are not worth a lot, there are some on ebay for under £30 while other cost several hundred and often thousand as I'd expect with Lawrence first editions.

Also Ive just purchased this copy. If any can tell me a little about this edition. Or if the inscription rings any bells then I'd love to know more.

Screenshot_20190211_182620.jpg Screenshot_20190211_182635.jpg Screenshot_20190211_182658.jpg Screenshot_20190211_182710.jpg Screenshot_20190211_182721.jpg Screenshot_20190211_182729.jpg Screenshot_20190211_182737.jpg

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  2. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Condition and dust jacket is my quick guess as to differing values. The correct dust jacket in good shape can sometimes be 90% of the books value. Also, some people will say they have a first edition without actually having it, not knowing what small differences to look for.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"Brigit Patmore was an English writer and "literary hostess". She was married to the grandson of Coventry Patmore. She had a long friendship with D.H. Lawrence, of whom she wrote several accounts. She was the model for Clariss Browning in Lawrence's novel, "Aaron's Rod". She was also friends with Ezra Pound, Richard Aldington, H.D., Ford Hueffer and W.B. Yeats."

Does nothing to increase your volume's value as it wasn't inscribed by the author.

Debora

pearlsnblume, Fid, antidiem and 5 others like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You should save Debora's info. Print it out and keep it in the book. The inscription may not help the value, but it does provide an interesting provenance.

Jivvy, Ghopper1924, Pat P and 2 others like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

This is a type of book is known as an "association copy." The most valuable of that type are inscribed by the author to somebody significant in the author's life. However, there are broader definitions that don't include an author's inscription and that are still considered interesting to some collectors and sellers. I just learned of this recently through a discussion on eBay boards that linked to the first item below:

https://blog.bookstellyouwhy.com/the-enduring-intrigue-of-association-copies

https://www.abebooks.com/books/rarebooks/author-signature-signed-inscribed/association-copies.shtml

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

If it were my book, I'd research if items connected with the Patmore's are collectible.

7. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

I did a little more research after posting this. Couldn't find a lot on Brigit Patmore, I think her fame didn't carry on through the decades.

The books with DH Lawrences Signature in are the copies worth thousands. He's an adored writer and a was a magnificent man.

It's likely worth a fraction more because of the story but your right about the signature meaning everything.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Draft saved Draft deleted