Featured D & J Clark Navajo bracelet --question on one of the stones

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lucille.b, May 22, 2017.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Stamped "D & J Clark Navajo" on reverse. The red stone (coral?) seems to have a bit of a kidney bean shape, and a dark spot where it doesn't fill the setting. I don't think this is damage, seems like it was always like this. Would that be normal for a piece like this? Just wondering if I need to mention anything relating to that spot in an auction description.

Thanks!

nav1.jpg nav5b.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    judy, Any Jewelry and cxgirl like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

no...just a black spot on the coral....

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's supposed to be there; the black area is part of the coral.

4. Lucille.b

Thank you both! Sounds good! :)

judy, cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Mediterranean red coral, worth mentioning for an auction. And agree, the black spot is a natural part of the coral.
    The maker is Delbert Clark. He always signed D&J, J could be his wife, there are a lot of husband and wife jewellery making teams.

Aquitaine, Lucille.b and judy like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Here are some:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lad...336708?hash=item488beeed84:g:zBQAAOxy9eVRQLsI
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/D-J-CLARK-B...957832?hash=item567b212788:g:n4wAAOSwv0tVCyjq

The last listing includes the line: "may not be mint condition. May have scuffs and or scratches. May need cleaning and or polishing. May have other flaws that I did not notice. Sold as is and no returns.":confused:

May fall apart when you open the package? May not be wearable at all? You may receive a different bracelet, or nothing at all?
    Or: I don't want to take the time to look at or mention the condition, just buy it and face the consequences.

cxgirl, komokwa and Lucille.b like this.
  7. jackolin

jackolin Well-Known Member

Excellent photos BTW.

Aquitaine and Lucille.b like this.
  8. Lucille.b

Thanks, Jackolin!

Also appreciate all comments here. Yes, AJ I had to laugh at that disclaimer on the Ebay auction --good grief. Not sure that would hold up in "Ebay court", but I'm sure that seller looses sales with that kind of wording.

Thanks for the info on the makers, etc.

My piece has a fairly thin band, not tremendously heavy at 17 grams, maybe $50 on a good day. But it was a lucky find for more reason than one. Was at a thrift that never has any kind of interesting jewelry anymore. They "send it out" and all you ever see is brand new Chinese stuff, completely depressing.

Last week there was a new tangle of stuff on a display, lots of hanging pieces, hard to even see what is there, and I see what looks like some interesting items, and right off find this bracelet ($1.99). As soon as I saw a signed NA bracelet --good grief, even has the word "Navajo"... I'm thinking that the person who put this out could easily have missed other items, and more importantly, I am the first jewelry buyer to see this group. None of my competitors would have missed that bracelet with such a clear mark.

So I examine the group with complete attention, DID find other items, and they are interesting for a reason. They are newer pieces, maybe even less than 20 years old, but have amazingly good resale. Plan to post on another thread.

Any Jewelry, cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks like he/they do nice work!! $1.99??????? YIKES!!!!

Lucille.b likes this.
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Yea, great score Lucille:)

Lucille.b likes this.
  11. Any Jewelry

Congrats Lucille, great find!

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted