Featured Daguerreotype couple restored

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by spartcom5, Mar 16, 2020.

1. spartcom5

spartcom5 Well-Known Member

Just another quick dag restoration. This one was on a quarter plate so a bit bigger than the average sixth plate. Overall this one was beat up quite a bit. I did what was possible to make it nicer. You can now see the dress of the girl! I'm not sure but while I was sealing it up it seems a piece of fuzz snuck in on the girls hair!!! No worries as I will be getting a new piece of glass cut for this and I will take care of it then.
    20200229_173952_resized.jpg 20200316_194307_resized.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I daresay, NOT bad AT ALL!!!!!! Pretty soon you'll be getting a job and working for one of those outfits!!!! OR taking IN work for them!!!!!:hilarious::)

cxgirl, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. spartcom5

Thanks! Aside from doing what I did there is a process in which you can use reverse osmosis to rid of tarnish and others things but it is a dangerous method in which you can ruin the entire image if not done properly.

The image above was clearly tampered with as there is a fingerprint on the actual image and the most unfortunate a scratch across the girl's face....

Figtree3 and kyratango like this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I've done that, wasn't really that big a deal although it was in the 1970's I did it ...results were spectacular as I remember!

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I think you mean electrolysis.

Your couple is very nice. Their faces look very modern to me.

kyratango likes this.
  6. spartcom5

Does anyone have any advice on how to limit dust in a room? No matter how much I dust the image and glass before sealing it seems as if a speck always makes it through somehow!

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

They must have been the "hotties" in their town . Very attractive couple , and they look so young . Brilliant job cleaning it .

cxgirl and kyratango like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

How beautiful, @spartcom5 -- Thank you for sharing! I'm starting to feel that I should learn to do this myself. :)

anundverkaufen and cxgirl like this.
  9. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Beautiful job !

10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Even though the tarnish can be removed using electrolysis, I didn't use that method - afaik I just used a chemical bath and results were instantaneous?

Long time ago though, but sure there was no electricity involved.

Draft saved Draft deleted