Featured Dallemagne- Etching - questions

Discussion in 'Art' started by Boland, Feb 17, 2023.

1. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

1A85BC30-0C8C-45D9-93E1-385150A86370.jpeg D909A702-E0BD-4718-9B2B-9DCD15B239EB.jpeg 47F8A50D-49EE-465E-BD5B-68D81050305E.jpeg C5638BF9-E8CE-410E-A69B-B0D5249D9660.jpeg 44BABC47-100B-4890-8838-C94EB873AD7F.jpeg Hi all,is this perhaps a ‘original’ Aime Edmond Dallemagne etching? Some sort of copy? Signed in pencil. It doesn’t look particularly old and was done on BFK Rives paper. Also why is it not numbered? It’s 7x16cm. Any comments appreciated. Thank you and keep well

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Isn't that interesting. This one features 1930s clothing. The one above 1950s same.

Debora

6282217.jpg

charlie cheswick and Boland like this.
  4. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Numbering is for limited editions. Unnumbered means it's an open edition with the artist printing as many as they wanted. Paper seems correct.

The two wildly different signature styles that exist on these is throwing me, though. Some variation I can understand, but...just in this one listing you can see both. Weird.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

This is the blank/back of paper......

44BABC47-100B-4890-8838-C94EB873AD7F.jpg

mirana and Boland like this.
  6. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

moreotherstuff likes this.
  7. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

It’s the back of the paper/print. Sorry if that was confusing.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Appreciate the information. Thanks you.I obviously have much to learn. So a strange thing regarding signatures. That doesn’t sound good?!

In the left hand corner there’s also a word starting with a “O” or “Q” do you perhaps know what it stands for?

mirana likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

It says Opera. That's the Paris Opera in the back, with the winged thingy on top.

Bakersgma, Boland and mirana like this.
  10. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

My guess is that the example with the Remarque etching was printed during the artists life. I think the plates weren’t destroyed and people continued to print copies for the tourist trade. When I was in Paris around 20 years ago I bought some etchings from a guy with a cart along the river. The signatures don’t match up with the older examples. I will post a picture of my Dallemagne etching, it has a Remarque and is numbered. The signature is quite different from the other posted ones. I bought it in a consignment shop in Florida 20+ years ago, it was in a 1950’s frame.

Bronwen, Boland and mirana like this.
  11. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Aah sorry I thought that one was decently clear. Bronwen got it, Opera. :)

I agree with Lithographer, and was leaning that way but didn't want to state it without more digging or corraboration... Two vastly different signatures, (and they are signatures and not places or other notes) means 2 different people. One was the artist, and one is probably the producer of the etching, possibly post-death of the artist. Yours is clearly trying to be Dallemagne in name, the other is barely a pictograph. I would hope the etching producer would have the sense not to sign as Dallemagne, but...I don't know for sure. Most of the prints I casually found were the pictograph version. Doesn't mean the later producer didn't flood the market.

There is also the possibility that the other sig version is not an original Dallemagne plate, but an homage/pastiche or copy made by a new artist.

The only reliable listing I could find was a 1915 French Artist's exhibition catalog at The City Art Muesem St. Louis which included Dallemagne's "The Rue Malpalu, Rouen" but I can't find a copy of the image. :grumpy: So keep an eye out for a street scene that looks like this I guess.

Screenshot_20230218-063748~2.png Screenshot_20230218-064052.png

Bronwen and Boland like this.
  12. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Yep the BFK Rives watermark. Verrrry nice paper if you can afford it. Started in the late 1700s and has had that watermark forever.

Bronwen, Aquitaine and Boland like this.
  13. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Ha ha,well that was really dumb of me. I thought it was maybe ‘opera’ but didn’t make anything connection so then I thought I must be wrong. Thanks for that..

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

That’s interesting and useful information. Thank you for the reply. I also hope to go see Paris one day.

15. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Many thanks for being so helpful and for providing great research info. Its all very interesting. So mine being a later copy is obviously not great but least it’s on good quality paper:)

mirana likes this.
  16. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

IMG_2158.JPG
    IMG_2159.JPG
    IMG_2160.JPG
    IMG_2161.JPG

Boland, moreotherstuff and mirana like this.
  17. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted