Featured Damaged Emile Galle Lamp Globe - worth anything?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bookahtoo, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

A friend of mine got this in a house clean out. Unfortunately, it has a chip on the end, and a crack on the side.
    He wants to know if he should try and sell it anyways, and for how much.
    Opinions?
    Thanks.
    (sorry for the crummy photos - I took them out of the recycle bin).

DSCN7633.JPG

DSCN7640.JPG

DSCN7641.JPG

DSCN7646.JPG

2. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

yes..I love it. Lost the only Galle piece I had in a fire many years ago. :( What are the letters above Galle please?
    Would love to have it Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    KingofThings likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

If it is any consolation, not all 'Gallé' is by Gallé.;)
    The glassies will be able to tell which this is.

4. Bookahtoo

The globe is at my house - I don't remember what the letters are above Galle. I'll look when I get home.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Appears to be TP:

Galle closeup.jpg

6. Bronwen

Or Tip:

Don’t buy anything that says TIP. Tip vases aren’t really made to deceive collectors. It is pretty obvious. If you see the word Tip then you know you are dealing with a modern reproduction. Many fakes are much more deceptive. The lack of Tip mark certainly does not automatically guarantee authenticity.
    [​IMG]

3) Know authentic Galle vase shapes. We have about 30 Galle vase shapes listed in our guide. Knowing which shapes are authentic is the first thing you can do prevent yourself from buying fakes. Sometimes you can work backwards and try to match your vase with a fake. There are hundred of fakes listed on ebay. There are hundreds more listed on GalleVases.com. We have no affiliation with that site, so enter it at your own risk. It is run by people in China making reproductions. Lots of other fakes come out of Romania.

http://www.galleartglass.com/authentic-galle-vases/

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    If he wants to keep it I would not blame him. I would coat the entire inside with several coats of clear lacquer, just to hold it together in case the break decides to travel.
    greg

Any Jewelry and bobsyouruncle like this.
  8. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

Was hoping for E or a star!

9. Bronwen

Because I don't want to weed out glass cameos when I search, have also seen lots of cameo glass. Could easily collect, were funds & space unlimited. Can easily understand your passion.

Any Jewelry and bobsyouruncle like this.
  10. Bookahtoo

Well, it does say tip. So should he just put $10 on it and put it in his booth?

yourturntoloveit and judy like this.
  11. Bronwen

Tell him how it is marked, what it means & let him decide what next?

12. Bookahtoo

He'll do whatever I suggest - but I'm not sure what that should be.

judy and yourturntoloveit like this.
  13. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Whatever the traffic will bear!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Bookahtoo

Well, what I always ask people is how much they'd be willing to pay if they wanted it. If it were me, I'd say I'd pay nothing, since it's a reproduction, and it's cracked, to boot.
    What do you say?

15. James Conrad

I say why not ask for $20 instead of $10, one can always come down, a lot tougher to go up. Naturally, i know NOTHING about lamps or shades! lol

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  16. Bookahtoo

:hilarious: good point.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  17. James Conrad

If it ain't old furniture, it ain't happening in my collecting world. And, it needs to be primarily from the 17th through the 18th century and be american.

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  18. James Conrad

Get outside that very small area, dad is TOTALLY lost! Most dealers/sellers tend to be generalist, they know a little about a lot, i am the opposite, i know a lot about very little.

judy likes this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd mark it as a repro and sell it as such. If he puts it out for $20 and sells for $10 it's still better than nothing.

20. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Sometimes you just want something to go away I'd stay with the $10 and hope it doesn't finish breaking before it gets out the door.

judy, cxgirl and James Conrad like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted