Featured darby plates and bowls, is this authentic old c1825 derby or newer?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Oct 20, 2022.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

6005930_IMG8156.jpg 6005930_IMG8156.jpg 40711863_IMG8148.jpg 17047486_IMG8151.jpg the mark looks close to what I see in ref books but not exact. Also the pattern looks a little different from most Imari types. 6005930_IMG8156.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Older. And very nice.

3. sunday silence

thanks for your insight Owned. Can you or anyone else shed any more light on the mark? it doesnt match exactly what i see in Godden's book nor in the data base I subscribe to. also what else can you say about the date?

thanks everyone for all your help.

bercrystal likes this.
  4. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  5. charlie cheswick

Watcha reckon an undamaged derby (not Darby by the way) 1825 teacup and saucer sold for ?

6. sunday silence

First: thanks for correction on Derby, duh, I pronounced it in my mind and then I started googling 'darby" and didnt see anything. so yeah my bad...

2. Charley: do tell what did they sell for? and thanks for showing us that thread nice.

3. So we are guessing the ones i show here are circa 1805?

4. what do the numbers mean?

7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Looks like Bolton and Fairhead Ltd were insurance and shipping agents.

8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Derby 'Imari Tree' pattern, first quarter of the 19th century, they look spot on to me. I bought a (part) dinner service of these items 25 years ago, they were one of the very first lots I bought when I became a full time dealer.

Figtree3 and moreotherstuff like this.
  9. sunday silence

Oh great thanks Ce. That gives me a lot to go on. Thanks you

bercrystal likes this.
  10. charlie cheswick

Hi ss

Peanuts really, each individual cup and saucer set, only made about £20 - £25 each

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted