Featured Dardo **I think** watercolours

Discussion in 'Art' started by BoudiccaJones, Jan 13, 2022.

1. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Hi everyone
    I usually leave art well alone as I am clueless but this caught my eye and was £2 so I bit the bullet.
    I think they are watercolours.
    They are on laid paper.

I looked for an artist with the name Dardo and found one with a similar name but he painted in oil. His name was
    Gattelli Dardo (Gottardo Gattelli)

https://www.bildfundgrube.net/künstlerseiten-neuheiten/gattelli-dardo/

No idea if this is he or not, or if these are tourist art (I'm not actually sure of anything).

It has the name Dardo on the back of each but anyone could have added it, so don't know if that helps or not,either.
    Sorry for all the pics, the name was written on each one so I took pics of all.

They are approx 4 inches down ( 11 cms ) down and five and a half (14 cms) across.

Castel Sant'Angelo ( thanks reverse image search !)
    Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon so common tourist destinations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damage on this one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do you think it's possible they are the same person?

Thanks everyone xxx

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

A textured paper, but not laid paper. I think they are prints and the textured paper is just to make them seem more like originals. I do think they are for the tourist market.

3. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Artist is Dario.
    Mikey

4. BoudiccaJones

Thanks everyone! (I do think it's Dardo, Mikey? Pretty sure it is x)

Just looked with a loupe and does look like a print, closer up. Should have done that first!

Thanks all xxx

komokwa, ola402, Hi2022 and 2 others like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Don't prints usually leave a visible dot matrix pattern on enlargement???

judy, BoudiccaJones and Hi2022 like this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think I'd peel off a piece of tape and look at the edges.

judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I'm with @916Bulldogs123 , I think it's Dario too. It looks like he dots his i by looping around and not always getting his pen up from the paper. Then he adds the o at the end as shown in the 2nd signature photo. The artist Dardo in your link signs his first name with the rest. JMHO.

Great pictures from Italy! It looks like you would take it home and frame it as three photos in one. It's what everyone wants to do when they are a tourist in Italy but hardly anyone does when they actually return home.

8. BoudiccaJones

Thanks everyone...can't see any brushstrokes or anything, close up doesn't look like a print that I'm used to with dots everywhere but does look **unnatural** under me loupe.

( In hand, maybe doesn't translate well to pics, but really really looks like *Dardo*, but tis moot anyway) x

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my Q <3 xxxxxx

( as an aside I don;t even know where I got *laid* paper from, I DID mean textured, I don't even know what *laid* is :O )

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted