Featured Date and Region of this Set Back Cupboard??

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by SeaGoat, Oct 26, 2017.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

I finally, (FINALLY!), found a small cupboard for my kitchen that wasnt over priced and/or rickety.

It was actually at an estate sale put on by a local company who is not in the least familiar with antiques.
    I actually went to the sale after a old farm table, walked in and bought 4 total pieces of furniture :wideyed::nailbiting::joyful:

Anyways, this piece is SOLID and can withstand daily use.
    there is no sway or sagging, the doors dont feel like you have to hold your breath as you open it..

Im excited to get it clean and put in place!

Its not terribly heavy, but its not huge either.
    Less than 6'.
    Im 5'2" and cant see over it, maybe between 5'6-5'8" tall.

Anyone have any tips on how to hide the "nicks" in the wood (Howards?)

How old do you think this piece is?
    Northern piece or southern?
    What kind of wood do yall think it is?

Sorry the pictures are a bit dark, I had to wait for my son to get off the bus to help me unload it :)rolleyes:) and by that time the sun is moving away from the dining room.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Oh what a gorgeous cabinet ! Perfect size to boot ! Im just guessing here,but I think it might be 1850s-60s ,maybe pine. Brad will know so wait for him to chime in. I just love this piece .

3. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Interesting piece, mixed woods, some may have been replaced. Do the hinges look replaced? The lock looks like it was installed upset down from normal.
    Patd

judy, Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

And looks like the raised panels are on the inside.
    Are they on the outside, too?
    Patd

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Interesting piece for sure. Doesn't fit with what I know about factory furniture so think it a country carpenter piece. It is so odd that there is the possibility that this is a newer piece made from old materials and hardware. Just looks too uniform to be truly old.

judy, Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Not my thing, but I love it. I think johnny's right: mid-19th century pine. Beautiful details. I can't say whether or not it's a "Frankenstein," i.e. something newer made from older parts, but if so they did a nice job with it!

7. SeaGoat

The panels are only chamfered on the inside..

I dont think it's a reinvented piece only because of the patina through out..
    It has that "thick" buildup like you see on old dough bowls that lends to that certain "look" of a buttery glow.

I saw a similar piece in one of my books.
    I'll try and track it down..

The house had several pieces that were about this age..
    I bought all but one piece (a table top chest they wanted a little much for for its condition), Ill post the rest later today

8. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Whoever did it knew what they were doing. I agree that it might have been ground up restored or rebuilt from parts. Not seeing the usual gaps found in pine from that vintage. Pine shrinks a lot as it ages.

yourturntoloveit and Ghopper1924 like this.
  9. SeaGoat

These dont exactly match, the shaker piece has a drop down work area and the new england pieces have singular doors on the bottom.

The black and white is from my shakers book
    The colored is from Antique Country Furniture of North America and details of its construction

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

yourturntoloveit and Ghopper1924 like this.
  10. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

I bet you are glad you waited to buy. This is a charmer.

SeaGoat and yourturntoloveit like this.
  11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, i agree, guy who built it was not in on the latest in philly or new york but that is typical of country work.

Yes, probably is, southern yellow pine/hard pine it looks like, mid 19th century. It's called a "step back" cupboard on east coast USA.
    No, it is not Shaker.

12. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I love it! It's beautiful and adorable at the same time!

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! Pick up one of those stain sticks/pencils in the hardware or LOWES or Home Depots.....close to the same color and just rub it into whatever nick or scratch you may get......THAT IS JUST SO DELICIOUS!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!:):happy::):happy:

James Conrad, SeaGoat and Ghopper1924 like this.
  14. James Conrad

2nd half 19th century
    I'd guess southern because it appears to be southern yellow pine
    Yellow pine, sometimes called longleaf yellow pine, heart pine or pumpkin pine & VERY much in demand for flooring, interior trim these days. You can't buy this pine "new" anymore, it comes from reclaimed barns, houses, etc and therefore, very pricey.
    http://www.appalachianwoods.com/Heart-Pine-History.htm

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  15. James Conrad

I do not think this step back cupboard is built new from old timber, it's just to "rough" or rustic for that & part of it's charm. It's a country piece & was built for utility back in the day, if it was "new" & built from old growth yellow pine, it would look like this.

heart_pine_cabinetry-1.jpg heart_pine_cabinetry-2.jpg

16. James Conrad

BTW, if you have to ask what it costs for old growth heart pine for floors or cabs these days, YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT. It's very expensive, right up there price wise with the "exotic" species of wood.

17. SeaGoat

There is business here in my gotten called Georgia Reclaimed, dealing in old wood is all they do.

They take out old flooring and old barns, kiln dry it and resell it.

Im fortunate to already have the flooring in my house, all except the kitchen.
    I fear the day I get a price quote on that :eek:

What lends it to not being shaker?

18. James Conrad

The joinery, with Shaker, it would be "perfect".

19. James Conrad

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  20. SeaGoat

Who...
    Wha....
    :wideyed:

James Conrad, cxgirl and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted