Featured Date Georgian Chest

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Illielee, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Illielee

Illielee Well-Known Member

Looking for help dating this chest. walnut veneer on pine. lots of young or late growth pine in drawer construction...had some work if not total rebuild. Cupped drawer faces. Possibly had a pull out up top accounting for the extra height..not sure. early 18th or crude and battered later piece?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Style is Chippendale but, i don't think period, more likely first half 19th century. I don't think crude, I'd say well used and lots of repairs over the years.

komokwa, KikoBlueEyes, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If I saw it here, I'd say late 18th into early 19th. I don't like that orangey refinish on it, but that's me. The trims are almost campaign style.

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I dunno......it does seem old in so many ways and in other ways it seems like with the crudeness, "it's" trying too hard to be old.....and I agree with OBB that the finish is just too orange-y!!! To me, the top, feet (base) and the brasses are the best and only part that look like they have age. But in going back several times to this post, firstly, there is no veneer visible, as you suggested, Illielee, but the top appears to be one piece.....nice. Mid 1800's seems reasonable, but it sure has been well "used" would be the best way to put it!! I would like to figuratively 'shoot' whoever put that color on it!!!!:happy::hilarious:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  7. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

The finish could be orange shellac. I've used it a number of times on case pieces. It provides a deep, rich finish that holds up really well, but the color IS distinctive!

8. AmericanGeode

AmericanGeode Well-Known Member

I am in agreement with most everyone, but before checking what anyone shared, my first thought was 1830.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I also think 19th century. That three board drawer bottom has to be a replacement even if a later piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted