Featured Date of Czech garnet flat top glass brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Sep 1, 2021.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I’ve tried to do my research on this brooch but could do with some expert help to date it please.
    This brooch has flat top glass gems. I’ve looked at plenty online and most are described as Georgian but this isn’t as it has an open back.
    So then Victorian? But it’s got a short thin pin so unlikely.
    So Edwardian? The pin and setting is thin and cheap looking more like 30s….but…..I can’t find any glass garnet flat top brooches to compare from that era they are all earlier. Hmmm, any ideas please? Thanks for any thoughts :)
    Apologies it’s dirty, those prongs resist a quick rub over with a cloth so I’ll have to take my time with it.
    7B26B7AC-3104-4E2B-9C87-E62C3A9AD482.jpeg D898A55A-09EC-4FEF-8B11-401469759A51.jpeg B8DE77F7-93EC-408A-BAC2-B32F379B0E29.jpeg 03697E7F-A77C-4A94-87FC-D22223BE4237.jpeg 2C989A7F-B9C0-46C8-90AC-57B48575533C.jpeg 017D7B23-3616-4FBD-8E53-8A9A5E5DAE61.jpeg

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

JMHO, with that hinge I would say early 20th century. You tested them to confirm they are garnets?

judy and KSW like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

No, I assumed glass but I should have tested them to be sure. I’ll do it in the morning :)

judy likes this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Mary may have a surprise for you, but make sure to clean the stones before testing :)

judy and KSW like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Will do :) she is quite reliable at garnets when she works. Her newest game is only working if my feet are off the floor (yes really). Maybe it’s me that is the problem, I’m too magnetic or too earthed or something :rolleyes:

kyratango, judy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

It's a very cool and unusual piece. My thoughts were early 20th century or older even. Do let us know what the test says. :) I'm voting for garnets!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    kyratango and judy like this.
  7. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

I think you really are increasingly becoming a force to be reckoned with :kiss:

kyratango, Lucille.b, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Anyone here who has had an interest in jewellery has been mightily enlightened by a certain wonderful lady, who we all hold dear

kyratango, Lucille.b, judy and 2 others like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Sometimes pieces like this have mixed glass and natural stones, so I'd test them all.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bohemian garnet pieces are indeed often mixed with glass. That looks right for 1910s into 20s to me.

I'd ultrasound that carefully.

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Great brooch, K.:happy: I would certainly let Mary do her job.;)
    As evelyb and obb said, many garnet pieces are a mix of genuine garnets and garnet glass, which was also made in Bohemia.

The back is unusual for Bohemian made. Bohemian garnet jewellery backs are generally closed and flat for 19th century pieces, and closed with small holes behind the garnets for post-1900 (possibly a few years earlier) pieces.
    So I wonder if it was made somewhere else, using imported Bohemian garnets and/or garnet glass. (UK?)

Those flat round hinges were first used in the 1890s, but this beauty could certainly be early 20th century, given the length of the pin.
    Because I don't know this specific interesting mix of settings for garnet jewellery I can't be more exact, but is antique, imo.

12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Connecticut is filthy with them too, but not gem grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted