Featured Date of Czech necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Mar 26, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Presuming this is Czech glass?
    I've got several necklaces with these little pin clasps- I’ve been under the impression they are quite early and date to the end of the 19th C in this form- Can anyone give me some more specific dates as to when they first appeared and then went out of use? . I’ve looked at the usual websites but they don’t seem to mention these ones down like they do with the the spring rings etc.
    Thanks for looking :)
    D88C7A7C-F287-4A97-890E-D0614C5853D2.jpeg C38CB87D-E2E6-4462-89CB-2157AFB17FC9.jpeg 61C8DFBB-DB5D-43B5-AA2E-DA77C0BAAE1A.jpeg D048FB42-D073-48C6-8FF7-EB7C62FA8BA1.jpeg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Beautiful beads, KSW. Clasp certainly looks like an early version of the type, but I don't know when they were introduced. Early safety clasps for brooches were itty bitty things &, in my experience, not up to securing larger pieces. I've always wondered if it was some unsuccessful attempt to minimize & hide the findings (hinges were small too). This strikes me as the same thing, an effort to have as little clasp as possible relative to the beads, but not sure I would trust it to hold them. Would think the strand is fairly heavy? Gorgeous blues though.

Any Jewelry, Sandra, Xristina and 2 others like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The clasp is broken so I think you have come to the correct conclusion that they weren't very successful at their job and eventually got fired!.
    I've got a gold one that IIRC was dated on here to c1880/90 but it would be really helpful to know when they came in and went out!.
    They are cracking beads aren't they!. I'll restring and get them cleaned up soon. I've certainly got plenty to do with mending bits and pieces whilst stuck at home although spring cleaning my cupboards is still not high on the priority list!. Today the kids did 'Independent Outdoor Play Planning' which involved them disappearing into my ponies field and reappearing hours later happy and tired!. So lucky we have a big outdoor space, it must be miserable for families stuck in a flat or high rise with no outdoor space.

4. Bronwen

I'm in a flat. I come here for outdoor space.

Any Jewelry, Houseful, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Sorry, that was tactless of me. I was thinking of the kids. Apologies :kiss:

Bronwen and judy like this.
  6. Bronwen

For what? I thought you were expressing compassion for us city folk. Just earlier in the day had a message from someone mentioning how much she was looking forward to being able to go out & garden & I realized I had forgotten that not everyone is confined to a few rooms. And I do feel like I'm in a wider world when I'm here. :)

Any Jewelry, LIbraryLady and KSW like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I was but then thought it was tactless of me to say how lucky my kids are!.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. Bronwen

It's actually good to hear that Covid-19 is not taking all the fun out of life for everyone. The temperature is supposed to break 60F here today & everyone will want to be out. There's a lovely park near me, but no doubt it will be too crowded to maintain prescribed social distancing. On the other hand, yesterday got to work on a tan when it turned out the drug store had instituted a policy of only 10 customers inside at one time.

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I suspect there will be plenty of personal re-evaluation when this is over such as - do I really need to go and buy..x,y or z.., do I still want to live with this person, do we need to travel overseas etc. My personal one is food waste. Using that crust of bread or sensibly limiting loo roll becomes important when you don't know if you can get more!.

Any Jewelry, Houseful and Bronwen like this.
  10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@daveydempsey - At least she could have put a few rhinestones on her mask. :p:p:p

i need help likes this.
  11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My mother grew up in the Depression and worked in shoe factories that started closing in the 60s so I grew up being very, very thrifty. My kids grew up being thrifty. So far, the shut in hasn't been difficult or unusual for us because we're doing what we always do. As far as travel, that won't change. When I was five we lived in the country, but there was an airfield nearby. Every time I saw a plane go over, I wanted to be on it to see where it was going. As soon as I was an adult I began to travel. Then I met my husband and we started taking youth basketball teams overseas. That was in 1980. I love being at home, but I love the adventure of going to new places and meeting new people and learning new cultures. When we travel with the kids, they stay with host families for ten days, not in hotels, so they get immersion in whatever country we visit. So many of them have come to us years later to say it made a huge impact on their lives.

gregsglass, KSW and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted