Date of my oak leaf table please?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by shaunoleary, Apr 26, 2020.

1. shaunoleary

shaunoleary Member

Hello, I hope someone can help me date my oak drop leaf. It has got damage etc... but I just love it. Bought for 40 pounds 8 years ago ... I was told Victorian but after doing some research it maybe Georgian? Is it an early Queen Anne .. not seen the almost heart shape pad feet before they seem to be rounder on the Georgian ones. Hope someone can help. I can upload some pics if needed. Many thanks 7065305E-F97A-4D6B-957D-F712B415E236.png D0B05A56-29E1-4B0D-B8B3-04ECDF7CF018.png D0B05A56-29E1-4B0D-B8B3-04ECDF7CF018.png

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. shaunoleary

shaunoleary Member

3. shaunoleary

shaunoleary Member

Notice the small pieces attached to the ends of the table top, very neat.

Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

English furniture isn't in my area of interest but this looks like Queen Anne to me, which would be mid 18th century in America, a slightly different date in Britain.
    Hinges look like hand wrought iron, pointing to an 18th century date.

5. shaunoleary

shaunoleary Member

That was my thought , just want to try and see if someone knows which quarter , Queen Anne , George the 1st /2nd, thanks so much for your help, if you can forward this on or link it to someone who may be able to help I would appreciate that , many kind regards, Shaun

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

You're in Ireland, yes? Nice Irish country made table. It could be a bit later in the 18th, styles tended to persist rather more in provincial furniture. I'd email Adams or Whyte's once they reopen and ask them.

7. shaunoleary

shaunoleary Member

Hello , many thanks, I am in England , the feet have thrown me as not the classic hoof, more pointed , they still have the raised pads underneath though.

8. James Conrad

The feet are a bit odd, could be a variation of a spade foot, sometimes called slipper feet.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Cheers - it has the look of Irish country furniture, hence the question. Still country made.

10. James Conrad

The only guy I know who is an authority on English, Irish & Scottish early furniture and online is Jack Plane. He's retired now but writes a blog & builds early reproductions, if Jack doesn't know, no one does kinda thing.

https://pegsandtails.wordpress.com/

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. shaunoleary

shaunoleary Member

That’s fantastic , thank you!!! I will let you know how I get on , regards, Shaun

Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  12. James Conrad

No problem and, if you are looking to buy the real deal in earlier furniture, say 16th - 17th century English furniture, Paul Fitzsimmons is the guy, no doubt.
    He has a 1/2 off sale once a year where even I have been tempted a time or 2, not an easy thing to do for a stone cold Americana kinda guy.
    https://www.marhamchurchantiques.com/

Ghopper1924 and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. shaunoleary

shaunoleary Member

Will definitely take a look, was in a mid nineteenth century cottage but now live in a 1930s house so looking at more turn of the 20th century / Edwardian items which not that rare.. but if this table is a good few hundred years old that would be great to find out... it is still used everyday for eating at and homework so not precious .. just love the handcrafted older stuff.. thank you once again!

14. James Conrad

Paul is a very sharp dealer, he NEVER fails to mention Thomas Dennis (america's most celebrated 17th century joiner) when he has a piece built in Devon at the same shop Dennis apprenticed at prior to immigrating to America.
    No doubt intended to lure the odd yank who browses his online store, smart, very smart!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  15. shaunoleary

shaunoleary Member

Ha ha We take a look at his website now

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's too bad that table is in the UK if it's to be sold; I bet an American would pay a lot more for it.

James Conrad and Ghopper1924 like this.
  17. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Seconded!

James Conrad likes this.
  18. shaunoleary

shaunoleary Member

I am sure that’s true, but being our well used family table for the last 8 years with two children, I am properly attached , I can’t help but think what it has seen... how many other pandemics it has been through, the plagues in England etc... and still here today, amazing !

19. shaunoleary

shaunoleary Member

I am pretty confident now that this is not Victorian... it’s too handcrafted .. so it’s just about finding a more accurate date now.

James Conrad likes this.
  20. shaunoleary

shaunoleary Member

Victorians loved to reproduce styles so that’s why I always had a slight doubt and I bought from a small antique business so I expected him to know what he was selling me and for 40 quid ( 80 dollars approx ) think I got a bargain

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted