Date of pottery shard

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KSW, May 4, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The kids found this shard on the allotment.
    To help them out can anyone please shed light on its date by the decoration or construction?. We are in the UK if that helps.
    Thankyou :)

0C413BE8-9BF8-4A1A-85C5-A456548A55B9.jpeg 87C73A15-6B01-4C74-9BD0-D35E9F7999F5.jpeg D7BA043B-EC5A-4015-AFCA-E08AE70CE035.jpeg 342B59E5-1C34-4A98-9702-72A25BE4CC01.jpeg 98171271-F6C6-41EF-A5B8-76F409BF33C0.jpeg

kyratango and Jivvy like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The blue was applied by "sponge." Thus, you may find similar decor by searching "spongeware."

kyratango, KSW and i need help like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou :) Found a bit about it and kids loved the photo of a meat platter with nearly the same pattern on google. From 1750 onwards.

kyratango, Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, spongeware, probably Scottish, and I'd agree on mid to late 18th. Lovely stuff.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'd be guessing more 19th C I'd think at least based on the sponged British ware found in the states. I know you have good websites for pottery identification where you are but I pulled up one more local to me because I had it handy. Pottery tends to follow fashion trends.

Because much of the pottery found in the US is British in origin it's got lots of useful history tracking though constantly updated. This is one of the sites and a little about some spongeware.
    http://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/Post-Colonial Ceramics/SpongedWares/index-spongedwares.htm

This is a general "types" chart with common date ranges.
    http://www.jefpat.org/diagnostic/HistoricCeramicTypesChart.pdf

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou :)

8. Ownedbybear

I wonder if you find more English than Scottish in the US - and also later, given the early stuff was kitchen ware, not exported? Especially as we had a bit of a furore with the US going on. ;)

This border looks Scottish to me, which is why I think it's earlier. And it was found here, too.

say_it_slowly, Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Yes, there seemed to be a spot of bother and anything British was out of favour. Although someone was kind enough to organize a giant tea party.:playful:

10. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

As an aside.

There's tons of blue and white shards in the fields near me.

You can walk across freshly ploughed fields and find it every couple of feet.

I did some research as to why this was.

In Victorian times and before, people used to throw broken pottery and glass down the outhouse hole. (the toilet) (no sewers)
    There was no rubbish /trash collections in those days.

The sewage
    (called night soil, human excrement collected at night from buckets, cesspools, and privies was used as manure.)
    used to be collected and taken outside the city and spread across the fields.

Those fields became quite fertile and ideal for many crops.

In this area the top soil is bagged up and sold back to people in the city to put on their gardens which mainly consist of clay and chalk.

So when you pick up those shards of blue and white just think about where its been :hilarious::hilarious:

What comes around goes around.

Taupou, kyratango, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

That was the way even before Victorian times. I have found old shards in our area when I was a child, my favourite was the face of a 16th century bellarmine jug.

kyratango and KSW like this.
  12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Good thing I washed it then!
    Would be logical though as the allotments have been allotments for a very long time.

kyratango and daveydempsey like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

I fiind Roman tile sherds sometimes.

kyratango and say_it_slowly like this.
  14. say_it_slowly

I know that trade routes and trade are studied however I'm hardly the best one to know all that's known (wish I was). I do know that much of the 18th and 19th C ceramic sherds found in this part of the US are British. What percentage are Scottish I don't know. I live in a state where the first permanent settlement of the English was established and heavily influenced everything around here. If you venture far north, south or west the influence is different and weren't all under British rule early on though British ceramics are found everywhere.

The valley near me had a large number of Scottish settlers so I'd not be surprised if some sherds found there were of Scottish origin though how much they were able to purchase as opposed to bring with them I'm not sure. It's fascinating research (at least to pot nerds) and I occasionally have been on the fringes of hearing what's being tracked.

Anyway, what I was really hoping to point out is that there are undoubtedly good websites that offer general ceramic date ranges associated with archaeology that could give good guidance in the UK. Just as the links I posted give a broad overview they also give some date ranges based on popularity and production along with some factory names. Just reviewing a few links I'd bookmarked I find that many are no longer working.

I'll be in Scotland in a few weeks but probably any archaeology I see is going to be much older:)

Here is a link to the Scottish Pottery Society if you want to follow where that leads. It does have a long list of Scottish Potteries and the dates they were in operation though don't mention, in this link, what they were producing.

http://www.scottishpotterysociety.co.uk/show.php?contentid=39

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Ownedbybear

The Scottish Pottery Society is excellent. Take midge repellent if you're going to the Highlands, it'll be that time of year. ;)

say_it_slowly likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

And beautiful. Have a wonderful trip, Scotland is great.

17. say_it_slowly

Visiting a friend in Inverness and will be travelling out from there so probably mostly heelands. Last year this time the weather was perfect and the bugs weren't too bad so fingers crossed:)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Avon Skin So Soft oil is your friend. ;) Or plenty of malt.

19. say_it_slowly

Malt as in whisky?

20. Ownedbybear

Absolutely!

Draft saved Draft deleted