date question on two sterling amethyst mexican bracelets of same design

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Kimbert, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Kimbert

Kimbert Well-Known Member

Just curious about whether a bracelet I came across that I really like the design of is dated accurately by the seller. The first one says from 1950s then I came across one of basically the exact same design from 1980s. Of course it could just be a design that's been reproduced over a span of years, but the first one is marked TV-24, I thought I read somewhere that that style of hallmark wasn't used until late 70s? Is that correct?
    1st one:
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/491555775/taxco-sterling-silver-and-amethyst?ref=user_profile&frs=1
    2nd one:
    https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/467...-sterling-silver-bracelet?ref=related-1&pro=1

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The letter/letter/number style of mark was introduced to replace the eagle mark in the late 70's (925-1000 says "circa 1979." That's probably where you read it.)

3. Kimbert

thanks for confirming- so it would seem the first one not from 50s!

judy, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Maybe it was a typo :rolleyes:

5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

It may be that the seller was not sure what decade the item is from.
    On etsy you have to fill in what decade the item is from to list. I am not saying they shouldn't do their homework and research.. I know bupkis about jewelry and don't sell it.
    They also may have copied a listing (used an old template) to save time and forgot to change the date to what it should be. You could let them know politely thru a convo to see if they made an error.

At least it is vintage, compared to some of what I see listed there which is fresh from the factory and not old. Really burns my biscuits when sellers there or anywhere try to sell something as vintage when it is NOT.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    judy and Kimbert like this.
  6. Kimbert

Totally, If it is wrong, I'm sure it's just a mistake or even typo, I don't think they're trying to pass something off as what its not or anything- looking at the shop as a whole, lots of nice stuff that appears to be labeled accurately
    Just wondering for my own info since I'm interested! well if I were to buy, I can send them a convo to get more info =))

judy, Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Circa is right, there is no precise date. The general consensus seems to be ca 1980, but what's in a year. It has to do with tax registration, and not everyone registered straight away.
    First letter T in the configuration stands for Taxco.

pearlsnblume, Kimbert and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted