Dating 3 Capodimonte putti

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Gianluca72, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Gianluca72

Gianluca72 Well-Known Member

Hello

i'd like to date these 3 Capodimonte porcelain Putti, by the related mark .

Height : cm 9

Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i need help and judy like this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Gianluca, I'm not sure I'd call the 2 kneeling figures "putti". They seem to be fully clothed, and I would call them children (a boy & girl) praying. I can see calling the 3rd figurine a putto.

Gianluca72 and i need help like this.
  3. Gianluca72

You're right, and in fact seeing well the children in buy with the putto, I seem to notice a difference in porcelain: the putto has a very light grey/white shade, while the children have a pure white shade

I bought them as a lot, but I think I understand that the Putto is not connected to children, even if all three elements are porcelain.

I'd like to date them, I cleaned them, they were a little dirty previously, and they're probably pretty old, but I think I need your help for a more precise dating.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The first and third look to me like they were part of a nativity scene, likely 20th century. And the one in the middle lacks the "boy parts" that a putto should have. To me none of them look "pretty old."

5. Gianluca72

Thanks ....
    next the auction house it was written Capodimonte late 19th century porcelain figurines .... I realize that often they are wrong, (that's why i'm asking for a date here) but I did not expect such a large time interval compared to your impression
    : - / :-(

6. Bakersgma

True Capodimonte was 18th century, not 19th, so their statement was already suspect.

judy likes this.
  7. Gianluca72

excuse me i dont get you as well, do you mean that Capodimonte didn't produce porcelain in the 19th Century ?

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capodimonte_porcelain

This is generally known as Naples porcelain, officially the "Naples Royal Porcelain Manufactory", (Real fabbrica delle porcellane di Napoli) or Real Fabbrica Ferdinandea. Since the 19th century a number of other factories have used the name, for a wide variety of wares, with a great range of quality.[6]

judy, Gianluca72 and Bakersgma like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Anything made after 1759 is true Capodimonte, even if made in Naples. This crowned N mark shows up regularly on much more recently made items with absolutely no connection to the original factory. And it seems in the world of "decorators" that any ceramic item with abundant applied flowers is referred to as "Capodimonte" regardless.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    judy, Gianluca72 and i need help like this.
  10. Gianluca72

I checked on Wikipedia and you're right, it was sold in 1806.
    But what I do not understand is why there are hundreds of announcements and auctions, even estimated online auctions websites, not only eBay that are selling Capodimonte 19th century.

judy and i need help like this.
  11. Bakersgma

Because the name "sells" and a lot of people fall for it.

judy, Gianluca72 and i need help like this.
  12. Gianluca72

Ok thanks so much, I was one of that fishes I guess .. lol.
    Ok I'll just use them on Christmas :)

judy likes this.
  13. Gianluca72

One question please, I find a list of Capodimonte sculptors of XX Century... Maybe on XX century it borned back?
    Thanks

14. Bakersgma

Where is this list?

i need help likes this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Gianluca72 likes this.
  16. Gianluca72

Cappè
    Volta
    Scaggiari
    Rory
    Armani
    Sartori

It's a list that I collected searching 'maestri Capodimonte' or 'ceramisti Capodimonte' or 'Capodimonte firmato' and many results are related to that sculptors names and they are all Capodimonte artists of the XX century

17. Gianluca72

18. Bakersgma

About that list of "Capodimonte" sculptors -

If your purpose is to collect antiques, do not buy these. None of them is in any way associated with the original factory. Their use of the name "Capodimonte" for the wares they produce is strictly a marketing strategy for what amounts to "collectibles." The figurines they produce are made "in the tradition of" or "as an homage to" a factory that has not been operating since 1759. As I said before, the name "sells" and people fall for it. If you want to buy some for your own enjoyment, fine. But do not expect a monetary windfall in the near future.

judy, Gianluca72, SBSVC and 1 other person like this.
  19. Gianluca72

Ok, thanks so much for your precious info :)

judy and i need help like this.
  20. Gianluca72

Draft saved Draft deleted