Dating a cedar chest

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Rolabeanhair, Jan 25, 2023.

?

How old is my hope chest?

1. 1900s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1910s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1920s

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. 1930s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 1940s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 1950s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 1960s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rolabeanhair

Rolabeanhair New Member

I inherited a hope chest from my grandmother who passed away in the 80s at the age of 89. She lived her entire life in Joliet IL. Trying to determine its age and the maker. There are no maker tags or marks, but a number is stamped on the underside of the lid. The lock to the chest and hardware may give clues to its date. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
    Link to images:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HJQO8f7J_UxKRogDjz1dEkWzTTLFkBlO?usp=share_link

verybrad and Bronwen like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

can you please post photo's here........
    many here will not open links from members we don't yet know....:(

and it's easier for us old folks to help you.......with things we can see....;):playful::playful:

verybrad and Aquitaine like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I braved your link, but got a message saying I needed to request access, so backed out. My grandmother was about the same age as yours. I have her hope chest, which I assume was given to her sometime from her mid-teens to her early 20s. She did not marry until she was 29, so she would have been seen as in need of one for a longer than average period. What this adds up to is that I think chest I have is from mid-1910s to mid-1920s.

Lane was the big name maker. Perhaps this video has something of use in it:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...t+history#kpvalbx=_upTRY9TbFIjU5NoPzJ6k2A4_55

verybrad likes this.
  4. Rolabeanhair

Rolabeanhair New Member

verybrad likes this.
  5. Rolabeanhair

Rolabeanhair New Member

6. Rolabeanhair

Rolabeanhair New Member

verybrad likes this.
  7. Rolabeanhair

Rolabeanhair New Member

Here are uploaded pictures chest front.jpg face.jpg interior.jpg hinge.jpg lock.jpg slide.jpg stamped mark.jpg

Attached Files:

verybrad and Bronwen like this.
  8. komokwa

funny how that fails to look 100 years old........ imo !

Bronwen likes this.
  9. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

1980s isn't on the list.

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Suspect you would say the same about the one that belonged to my grandmother, if condition is what you're going by. Think those slotted screws put it back some of the way, don't they? Phillips screws weren't on the scene until 1932.

verybrad and komokwa like this.
  11. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

So many cedar chest i see are in very good condition. I suspect it is because they were kept in the master bedroom and not used for things that were taken in and out alot.

12. Rolabeanhair

Rolabeanhair New Member

I just tried reaching out to the Forest Park Historical Society to ask if they'd know of the existence of a company catalog as nothing comes up online.

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Not that I've searched out that many CEDAR chests, but they usually look pretty new on the inside....at least the ones I've seen.....the outside does look fairly early 1900s, at least to me.....

Bronwen likes this.
  14. Rolabeanhair

Rolabeanhair New Member

Attached Files:

Bronwen and verybrad like this.
  15. komokwa

I saw a similar slide on a 1920's Lane chest....

Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  16. Rolabeanhair

Rolabeanhair New Member

An entry found at a Cavalier Cedar Chest website indicates that the use of the "National Association of Cedar Chest Manufacturers" branding was found on chests in the 20s. I might deduce that my chest, having the similar hardware as the one with the NACCM branding, would be from the 20s? I'll focus my search to cedar chest catalogs / lookalikes from around that time period.

Cavalier reference to Natl Assoc of Cedar Chest M.JPG

17. Rolabeanhair

Rolabeanhair New Member

FYI - The National Association of Cedar Chest Manufacturers lasted but 2 years - 1920 thru 1922. If ever coming across a chest with the NACCM branding FED Trad Commission.JPG , it's from that time period!
    Get the full story of the Assn members' attempts to agree on cost / price sharing methods before giving up - at this link (Fed Trade Commission report):

https://books.google.com/books?id=Q...e&q=Assn of Cedar Chest Manufacturers&f=false

Bronwen, verybrad and komokwa like this.
  18. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Rolabe-Nice detective work re the history & lore of North American Cedar Chests.You have the makings to become an accomplished Antique Savant here on the Forum !
    PS-We rarely see newbies with skills this accomplished.
    PSS-To hone your skills & research tools,you might want to follow members-Bronwen,AnyJewelry,Roaring20's,Debora & some other participants.
    ***Observe how fast they answer-some is prob lightning-quick keyboard speed,some is most likely eidetic memory.

Bronwen likes this.
  19. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like you all have done the work. It is , indeed, circa 1920. Looks to be a walnut finish but I think the wood more likely to be birch veneers. I do think it has been refinished at some point.

I sold this similar one with real walnut veneers last Fall for $65.00
    cedar.JPG
    cedar2.JPG

20. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Rolabe-Brad's a pretty smart guy too,I'd trust him.

Draft saved Draft deleted