dating chinese bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Gianluca72, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Gianluca72

Gianluca72 Well-Known Member

Hello friends,

I'd like to date (I guess it's recent) this "salad bowl"? "soup bowl" ? "gravy boat"? Chinese and understand what his daily use might have been.

Diameter circa 25 cm

Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think the "daily purpose" was to sit around and look pretty. The edge shape does not go well with uses that involve serving food. Closest might be "fruit bowl."

I agree that it's not terribly old.

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I believe the SHAPE is called a LOTUS BOWL. I don't know about the mark.

i need help, kentworld, judy and 4 others like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Thanks for that "lotus" info! The mark itself isn't really "datable" beyond 20th century post 1921. I this the eccentric shape is more likely to give someone date ideas.

5. Gianluca72

Thanks for the precious info :happy:

6. Gianluca72

i need help and scoutshouse like this.
  7. Bakersgma

Since these "pinterest" pages do not provide documentation explaining why an item has been labeled "antique" or famille rose or whatever (and in this case provides only a partial image and no look at how it is marked, I would not put much stock in it as "proof."

8. Gianluca72

Yes yes you are right thanks a lot

i need help and scoutshouse like this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Famille Rose refers to the overall color scheme with pink roses being predominate.

10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Lotus shape, yes, 20th c, yes. You might find some info about the mark on gotheborg.com. The quality, however is not all that good comparatively, so I would rather think decorative value than “collectible.” JMHO.

11. Gianluca72

Thanks, unlikely i went to check on gotheborg, but i did not find red made in china inside a circle :-/

Draft saved Draft deleted