Featured Dating Chinese robe

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Jose Deleon, Aug 13, 2022.

1. Jose Deleon

Jose Deleon Active Member

My first robe seller said 1911 based on my search found a similar one for Singapore qipao/Changshan/Cheongsam dating 1920s
    Brocade looks like not a typical embroidery.

Trying to start a project with help of what is this was truly used for. Is transit as we speak.

gmcculloh, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Anxious to see whole images when you receive it!!:happy::happy:

3. Jose Deleon

Me to been reading articles of shapes & year changes. My first purchase other then porcelain. Was going to post after I can't wait been reading for weeks & browsing for robes for months really couldn't wait.

Aquitaine, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  4. Jose Deleon

5. Jose Deleon

6. Jose Deleon

He didn't post alot of pics that's why I had to ask for more.

judy likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, Jose. I love the colour combination and am looking forward to seeing more photos.
    Fashionable Chinese ladies in Singapore, and to a lesser extent Peranakan ladies, would have worn Cheongsams, but it isn't of Singaporean origin.
    The Cheongsam is associated with Shanghai, but the fashion spread from there.
    The asymmetrical closure is of Manchu(rian) origin. It was introduced to China during the Qing dynasty, which was Manchu.

8. Jose Deleon

Will be in Monday I can't wait. So you think my date will be correct 1920s? I really don't now much of silk chinese porcelain yes, silk in the other hand not so much. Thank you for your response

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I have no idea, sorry. Manchu style clothing is still made to this day, and I don't know what to look for when it comes to dating it. Even cheongsams are still being made. I had one in the 70s, but still see new ones occasionally.

I am looking forward to seeing more of it though, and I think people will want to see the lin ing as well.

10. Jose Deleon

Finally got it I didn't open all the way due to I'm on work don't want to unfold it in a rush. Very light looks hand needles I don't know the rest no tags either

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hmmm, How did it go from being dark brown material to being grey?

Jose Deleon likes this.
  12. Jose Deleon

Is black the sunlight made it look that way. Also my phone sometimes adjust colors automatically on lighting. I apologize for the photos. It's black. The pics I provided is in my hands, yesterday pics is the sellers. Trust me I own it now &

13. Jose Deleon

Is it fine if I can share a YouTube link? Of the robe?

gmcculloh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted