Dating Nymphenburg ...

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by quirkygirl, Apr 30, 2015.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Is there a website anyone knows of that can help me to date this porcelain figurine? From what I have been able to research so far (and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong), the impressed shield mark plus absence of an inked backstamp dates it from 1754 to 1894 ... and the hand inscribed (as opposed to stamped) numbers and letter, narrow the date to pre-1860. I have only seen one reference mentioning the hand scribed numbers -vs- stamped numbers, so I'm not even certain how accurate that statement is. Although there are books about collecting Nymphenburg, my local library has none.
    Is anyone familiar with these pieces willing to shed some light on how I can narrow down the window of time in which this piece may have been made?

Thank you
    - Kat
    P1070961(1).JPG
    P1070963(1).JPG

mymysharona43 and KingofThings like this.
  2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

"Dating Nymph..." caught my attention, but I know nuffin' 'bout dat stuff. If u wanted to give it a name it seems there's one for the same figure here: http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1290731
    I'm guessing there's no information on the little card chained to the thing in your picture.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  3. quirkygirl

Thanks for that link, Spring. No, nothing of value on the tag ... other than the notes I've made ... just too lazy to log the info and cut the tag off! :shame:

4. cartoongirl

cartoongirl "Don't Blink!"

yup...I 'saw' ..."dating nymphomaniac". Woke me up quicker than the coffee this morning!

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  5. quirkygirl

ha ha ha ...
    been there
    done that

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Kat - My go to source for dating German pottery/china is porcelainmarksandmore.com. I checked there and Chris (who created and runs the site) lists Nymphenburg as a company he's still researching. You might try contacting him to see if he can help anyway. If you do contact him please consider donating to his site. He provides a tremendous wealth of information for free and a lot of the information is available no where else.
    Don

7. quirkygirl

Thank you Don. That is a very informative site ... I've used it many times in the past. If necessary, I may need to contact Chris (and thanks for the nudge to contribute to the operation of the site ... never noticed that there were no ads providing funding)

Fortunately, I was able to find a book on Nymphenburg at a library within my state and am having it transferred to my local library ... here's hoping that it will contain the info I need.

dgbjwc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted