Dating Yixing Teapot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by spirit-of-shiloh, Sep 2, 2014.

1. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I was just over on the antiques board on ebay and this seller posted these two teapots. The only poster who answered was DSS.He said 1980.:rage: Seller said thank you and now has them listed as such. I sure hope they were not rare. :arghh::arghh::arghh:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. spirit-of-shiloh

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see both markings are different yet she/he said in her listing marked 1980 on bottom.:(

How does DSS get away with this?

3. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Shi, DSS may very well be somewhat correct. These do appear to be "vintage" pots dating to the last quarter or the 20th C. Can't help translate the marks, sorry. :(

Figtree3 and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  4. User 67

User 67 Active Member

There was a craze for these pots in the early 1990's, They had many (much better ones) at the Museum stores, ect. These almost look like knock offs of the better knock offs.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  5. spirit-of-shiloh

Thanks nuff....you having sold Yixing pots for thousands of $$$ I was just worriedd that DSS may have hurt the seller. I am relieved.:)

6. 'Nuff_Said

I agree. Given the oil rubbed all over these things, late-20th C. Yixing pots (probably made of terracotta and not clay from Yixing at all).

7. 'Nuff_Said

Thanks, Shi.

Shi, they do date to the late-20th C., but that doesn't mean they are "authentic" Yixing pieces. They were most likely made in China as "knockoffs" with famous makers names impressed on base.

8. spirit-of-shiloh

I was looking for your shorthand pottery marks but stupid Google sent me to HOW to spell pottery in shorthand,LOL

Then I used different keywords but nothing :(

9. 'Nuff_Said

Lol!

Thanks Shi for helping...much appreciated. This has been a difficult nut to crack so far.

Draft saved Draft deleted