Featured Decanter question?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Frank, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

P1150364.JPG P1150376.JPG P1150371.JPG P1150375.JPG P1150373.JPG Thank y'all for your help with my flask last week. This week, I'm sharing pictures of a decanter, also from my grandmother. She purchased it in Bronxville, NY, when they lived there in the 1930's.

I don't know what this style of silver overlay is called, but it's silver over blown glass. The only mark I could find on the decanter is shown in the photos, and says "995/1000 FINE SILVER"

The lock may or may not be original, but it's been with the flask since it was purchased. It's silver-plate, and says "A.E.DIETZ".

My questions are: What is this style called, and what is a rough estimate of it's value?

I assume, since it's engraved on the front, that it dates from 1902. Apparently it was a gift for a 25th annversary.

Incidentally, the liquid it contains is corn whiskey made in Tennessee in the 1950's. It's smooth, and still smells like fresh corn! Of course I keep it under lock and key.

View attachment 152440 View attachment 152441 View attachment 152442 P1150375.JPG P1150373.JPG

moreotherstuff, wenna, judy and 9 others like this.
  2. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

That’s a double struck mark, it’s actually 999 not 995, there also appears to be other weakly struck marks below that to the left and right.
    Alvin is well known for overlay silver decanters.

judy, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 8 others like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I didnt even know I needed one of those,but now I do !

moreotherstuff, judy, Fid and 10 others like this.
  4. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Also, is this decanter more properly used for liquor or liqueur or fortified wine?

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The shape is a whiskey jug.
    Because of the motif, I expect it held Rye Whiskey.

judy, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 8 others like this.
  6. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Ah! I didn't make that connection.

judy, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  7. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

could this be called a tantalus bottle? Can a single bottle be a tantalus?

judy, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  8. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Lock, Lock - Lemme in!

Very nice, @Frank

9. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Overlay is in the Art Nouveau style.

judy, Fid, Christmasjoy and 5 others like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

If I have my whiskeys right (I don't drink them) the color would off set the 'polished' sterling very nicely!!!!:woot::):singing:

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I love the idea that it has corn liquor in it though - talk about a way to upscale moonshine!

judy, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  12. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

This particular corn whiskey was made by a fellow named Noble Gray, in the early 1950's. When I knew him (lived next door to him for a few years), he gave me the last quart Mason jar full he had. When I inherited this decanter, I knew that Noble's whiskey deserved to go in it. This is what remains, and I treasure it.

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Good place for it then.

judy, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Hi Mike
    I think a tantalus is the case that locks the bottle(s) not the bottle itself. But I could be wrong.

Frank, judy, Fid and 5 others like this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

It's a Jug......a fricken fancy jug at that !!!
    The lock is a nice touch !!!
    So Frank....we don't usually do Values...for a host of reasons......& in this case unless one can find a VERY similar item....or more than one that has sold or at least been offered......it will be next to impossible to arrive at a fair market value.

Saying that.......... it's now up to you to set a price you can live with !!!
    Remember...on one hand a 'too high price', & folks will think your greedy & it'll never sell. On the other hand...a 'too low price'....& it'll be snapped up so fast yer head'll spin !!

Frank, judy, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

As I was working my way down through the posts, I was getting ready to ask you whether the contents were inherited along with the vessel. I was intrigued by the notion of a couple in Bronxville having moonshine in such an upscale jug. I'm a little let down.

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

don't be....corn licker has a long and storied history too !!!

judy, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  18. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

:confused: I dunno what’s goin on here, so I’ll just call it a night! :hilarious:

Frank, judy, sabre123 and 2 others like this.
  19. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I dunno what’s goin on here

Bronxville is not in the Bronx and residents are, let's say, well-to-do. No doubt Prohibition did not impede the party scene there, but the image of them swigging corn likker straight from the jug amused me. Chug-a-lug.

Frank, judy, i need help and 2 others like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not a tantalus, as cluttered said that is a locked case for decanters. You can see them but not get at them, a torture just like the in the Greek myth of Tantalus.:hungover: But a lock on a decanter serves the same purpose, keeping the servants from drinking the precious liquor. Or moonshine, in this case.:D

More on the original Tantalus:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantalus

Frank, judy, i need help and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted