Featured Deep Red Pottery Vase - Studio or Asian

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Suzy60us, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Suzy60us

Suzy60us Well-Known Member

I bought this at a TS. 7.5" High - Red Clay - Foot not glazed - fabric label may be for inventory My questions: Is it red copper glaze, Studio or Asian, old or recent. I posted it on FB studio pottery ID board and someone thought it might be Chinese.
    Any ideas?

DSC06288.JPG DSC06294.JPG DSC06301.JPG

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I know nada about such things but the color delights me; sangre de bouef.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Love the red. My knee jerk was Asian as well.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'm with the others: Chinese, Vietnamese, like that, and recent. I don't know how that effects the value, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a beautiful glaze on a well made vase.

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Have to say it is a bit unusual, not what you typically see. I also like it.

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Suzy60us

Suzy60us Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comments. I almost did not buy this vase. It is not a classic style with the fluted top and the spots of glaze on the indents therefore I thought studio or newer Asian.
    The glaze is unreal. Also, the label with numbers looks like a piece of old adhesive tape. To me the bottom rim has some age or wear to it. Then I thought it might be older.
    In the end it is pretty and different.
    DSC06316.JPG

i need help likes this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I, too take a look at anything with that kind of fabric numbering, and usually associate with older, vintage at least. Possibly an inventory number for insurance, etc. but also could be something unrelated. But like you, that kind of thing catches my eye. Esp. combined with the odd shape, I would have gotten this as well.

I wonder if @kardinalisimo has any ideas?

i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! ... Joy. :):):)

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted