Definition of "listed artist"

Discussion in 'Art' started by Pat P, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Being a "listed artist" used to mean being included in Who Was Who in American Art and/or several other reference books.

Is that still true or has it morphed to mean any artist included in AskArt, FindArt, etc.?

Thanks for your thoughts....

KingofThings likes this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I'm glad you asked the question... interesting to see what people say.

I think it should be anybody selling art on eBay... that way I'm *IN*! :hilarious:

KingofThings and Pat P like this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

LOL! Wish it were for your sake, too, Gila. :)

KingofThings likes this.
  4. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Don't quote me, but I believe with the internet more updated and plentiful info. that would be much more used if there are enough listings and sales records to assist, say, in appraising a piece of art. A five year old book would be obsolete in this day and age, even a one year old one.

OK, I'll add something that is going to sound like Donald Trump. :D
    In the nineties as Broker and Appraiser I was in the Who's Who In North American Real Estate. It was the best source we had to find someone on the left coast, North, South, or in between. And, of course now, no one would take a year old book as sufficient when looking for assistance in Canada or out of state.

Pat P likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think of a listed artist as an artist with body of work known through sales, exhibitions, associations, or published articles. It's an artist of whom a record exists.

I have a number of paintings by a local amateur who was active over a 30 year period. I contacted a local auction house to see about selling the paintings, and they got back to me with additional info on the artist. So this is a known artist, a listed artist, who can be found if you know where to go for the info. BUT! The auction house recommended not consigning the pictures because there is no record of previous sales on which to base a valuation and, without that, they would sell real cheap.

So what's a body supposed to make of that?

6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I was thinking scoliosis or one leg shorter than the other

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That would do for me.

KingofThings and Pat P like this.
  8. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

How about one high heel on, one off? *I* can be listed!

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Feed me two beers and I'd list! As a matter of fact I might fall down.... A friend was on the Empress of the seas; he and his wife were listing when that storm hit.

Aquitaine, KingofThings and Pat P like this.
  10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

LOL!

MOS, I have a similar tale. My uncle was a WPA artist, studied with and was a colleague of some of the mid-century biggies, some of his work is or has been in museums or has toured, and some pieces are on display on the Smithsonian website. His name is mentioned in quite a few articles about the genres in which he worked.

But when he got married in his mid or late 30s, he turned to commercial art to support his family and apparently never tried to sell his paintings. After his death, my cousin approached auction houses and they said the same thing you were told... since there are no auction records, they're reluctant to sell his pieces.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    antidiem and KingofThings like this.
  11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

On another note... the reason I started this thread is that I want to list some original signed art work on eBay. The artists are included on AskArt, FindArt, etc., but I have no idea if they're also in the print books that traditionally have bestowed "listed artist" status.

Under these circumstances, would you call them "listed" or refrain from using that term?

(None, as far as I know, had an impediment that caused them to walk in a crooked fashion. ;))

12. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I just walk in circles when I do tha....... Hey! This is public info!
    ;) :p

antidiem likes this.
  13. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Yipes!!!!
    I was in a pretty good one in which my first Navy ship of some 596' had a good 50-75' coming out of the huge waves at each end.
    Maybe that's not so bad you say.....
    Except she had her back broken in a typhoon and if you knew where to look you could see the bracing. :p

14. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think the best recognized on-line resources incorporate the same information as some of the print references of the past. Consequently, I think you can call an artist listed if they show up in these resources. Artprice.com seems to be the most comprehensive data-base out there and is the first resource I go to in searching an artist. Artnet.com seems better for European art. I use Askart, Blouin's and some of the others as supplemental. It never hurts to cite your sources when you refer to an artist as "listed".

I just checked and found that Davenport's is still available in print and CD form. Prices are about half of what they used to run. I am kind of surprised that they have not created an on-line version. When I first started selling art, I bit the bullet and purchased Davenport's. Never regretted that decision but would be hard-pressed to purchase again now that all the other resources are available for less money or free.

Bakersgma and Pat P like this.
  15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, Brad. I wasn't familiar with Artprice and it does look good!

I'm not listing enough works of art to justify a paid subscription to any art sites. But the free stuff on the sites does help so much in gathering other info.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  16. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You could say "professional" (and who knows what other words) instead of "listed". I think the purpose of such words is to convey the notion the work is not by a rank amateur.

Pat P likes this.
  17. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

True, Moss. I was thinking "listed' is short and sweet as a keyword for the title... but I don't want to use it if it isn't really appropriate.

18. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

A lot of listed artists are not necessarily professional. Listed is a search term that is worth using.

Pat P likes this.
  19. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

May I ask for a favor, please.

I've known Bob Skemp's family for many years and never wanted to ask about his commercial success. But now, with both his wife and daughter no longer with us, that I will do.
    Problem is that I cannot get that far in any of the sites mentioned here or all the ones I had previously tried without "sign in or join."

Bob passed away in 1984, within a month or so of our meet, but I spent years visiting and travelling with his daughter, son-in-law and often his wife. They were, by far, my closest friends.

Robert Skemp, listed artist, illustrator, pinups and, I think, worked for General Motors. Also marine art - sailing and other ships - and portraitist.

Just a few examples of what he has realized in non-assigned commercial work would be fine. Please

20. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Good luck, OG... what beautiful friendships.

Draft saved Draft deleted