Degas Stone Lithograph

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Feb 16, 2018.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

C0709355-FF04-4904-B68B-A727C9434B9D.jpeg F639B883-F4F4-4CE8-AC6B-45A6C2AF7A5D.jpeg AB295F38-3F8D-4151-B0D6-5CAC1F33BB0B.jpeg 12807EE8-E05E-4FAF-A927-8118219EA14B.jpeg I hope I’m not wrong but this looks like a stone litho rather than modern reproduction. There seems to be a lot of variations of that image and I’m trying to find the original.

PS Found that Degas made monotypes sometimes with pastels touchups over. Could it be such a print?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  3. kardinalisimo

Why by other artists? There are over 10 similar artworks by Degas with ballerinas and bouquets.

4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

It doesn't look like Degas's work to me... the face looks too cartoonish like something drawn maybe during the 1950's. It's clearly that same scene that degas painted so...if it's by someone else, it's a copy. Just my opinion.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. kardinalisimo

Hm, it does look cartoonish. I need to take it out of the frame.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It does appear to be a 1950s interpretation of a Degas painting. De-frame it and see what you find.

Debora

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It's nowhere as detailed as the two links provided by @aaroncab......but it IS interesting!!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. kardinalisimo

So, what do you call it, a forgery, reproduction, “after Degas”, Degas follower ....?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Depends on your purpose but I'd call it a decorative interpretation.

Debora

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  11. kardinalisimo

CF25F8E4-C0C8-4B6B-AB2D-6B9F58E70E75.jpeg 9589EDEC-D32C-419D-A9FB-49B06BA006CC.jpeg DE009C53-7FD4-41AF-96EA-9499F73BBE8D.jpeg C613A9D0-55BD-4CBB-B45B-DF0EF7F05F60.jpeg BD0ADFB1-CC22-45FC-9C39-2A6389956CDB.jpeg Any safe way to remove the glued mats? I can’t tell the technique but I think it’s a type of print so I want to check the edges for possible info.

12. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Based on this Degas work. I think they reproduced a lot of Degas in this large format using a process in the 60's or so that didn't leave standard dots. Not a monotype though - if it was there would be only one.
    I had one of a different image also a dancer and concluded it had no value so recycled it.

I had[​IMG]

13. kardinalisimo

Yours was done after an existing painting, exact copy of 1877 “Fin d'arabesqueen”.
    I cannot find the original of mine.
    As Aaroncab pointed out, the face of the dancer is not in the style of Degas.
    So, I’m not sure if I can call mine a reproduction. It was suggested the term “interpretation” but in this case it would not be right to put Degas name on it.

Figtree3 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Typo. Sure you meant "Fin d'arabesque."

Debora

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Original is in the d'Orsay. And look where the signature is.

Debora

FORUM Degas.gif

16. kardinalisimo

Yes, typo. What’s wrong with the signature?

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's migrated from left to right.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted