Delft Ashtrays (?) Identification Help

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Beverly Roberts, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Beverly Roberts

Beverly Roberts New Member

Hi, I've got these 3 Delft ashtrays that I believe were made in 1969. Two of them were made by the same person in different places and the 3rd one (that's crazed) was made by a totally different person in yet another different place yet all 3 have the same pattern and detail. If anyone could shed light on either the artists, locations or perhaps even value, it'd be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Your pieces were made by the factory de Porceleyne Fles or Royal Delft. They all date CN = 1969.

Stephen Van Hook's book Discovering Dutch Delftware lists many of the artists at Fles over the years. Two of them seem pretty clear however it's hard to make out what the initials are on your second ashtray if not COO. I've shown the closest matches, to my eye, and listed the guess if not COO in the last two below however they might not be right.

RKO = R. Koolhoven <1973-1994+
    img20190217_073927.jpg
    COO = C. Oonk 1949-1952, 1955-1993+
    img20190217_073816.jpg

CPO = C. Post, no date, no example of sig
    Cle = C. van Leeuwen <1991+
    img20190217_074019.jpg img20190217_074124.jpg

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Beverly!

Welcome to Antiquers!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Oh yes, Welcome!

Here is a link to the factory though at first glance I don't see ashtrays in their offerings. At one time I used to follow prices on the secondary market of Fles pieces and in general they used to run 1/3 to 1/2 of retail if in excellent condition with the older more unusual pieces bringing the best prices. That was maybe 10-15 years ago and I think prices have dropped significantly in most cases. Best way to track prices is probably sold items on Ebay.

The colored Delft pieces are often called polychrome if that helps in your search.

https://www.royaldelft.com/en_gb/

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Beverly.

6. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Welcome Beverly

7. Beverly Roberts

Beverly Roberts New Member

Thanks so much everyone! For the warm welcomes and for the information. Kiko, looove your picture, Siamese are great. Considering how quick and knowledgeable you are here, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions :)

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME, Beverly!!! OOOOH, a secretive cat avatar.....LOVE it!!!!!!:cat::cat::cat:

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted