Featured Depressing black opal

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by bobsyouruncle, Nov 22, 2019.

1. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

305A72F7-58EE-4D52-938A-BA8C8BA60C8E.jpeg 9DA7543E-9606-47F3-A3EA-CB9C0EFF97A0.jpeg EE6AB392-FF81-41A5-B799-E4345A26060A.jpeg I was going to post this because I love it so much..now I’m just a little depressed. I had this made a few years ago for my wife. A goldsmith I know well removed opal from a ring and set it as pendant. My wife loves it and I have never looked closely until I was taking the pictures. A chip is missing..must have been done when he set it. Nothing I can do and I think it has dropped the value a great deal.. opal in matrix.. I will not tell my wife :(

PortableTreasures, judy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  2. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I think it is stunning.
    Loved jewellery sometimes gets little knocks when it's been on the walk of life with us. It's monetary value possibly is affected, I don't know enough to know but I do know that your wife loves what it means to both of you and wouldn't change it for the world with or without a chip.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Oh, byu, I'm so sorry. It is still a gorgeous stone though, the chip is tiny, and your wife loves it.
    But it is good to take it to a jeweller to check if the prongs have a good enough hold of the stone.

4. bobsyouruncle

Thank you both. I will take it in and you are making me feel better. Sometimes forget that it is the sentimental and not necessarily the $ value

kyratango, KSW, judy and 1 other person like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

P.s She probably already knows ;)

judy, kyratango, BMRT and 2 others like this.
  6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Little nick but beautiful opal and a beloved pendant... so... agree with above!:)

7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The opal is not centered in the setting.Some setters say they must be tight and others say there must a little room for movement.Opal can develop flaws after a time,wide variations in temperature from inside to outside can cause cracks,etc....

8. bobsyouruncle

I have no intention of doing so at this time but would it be possible to have someone recut and plods or would the cost be prohibitive?

Any Jewelry, judy and KSW like this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

I don't know where you live,but I Googled "opal cutters" and Midwest and came up with a name I recognized,he has been around for 40+ years and has written a couple of books. https://theopalman.com/about-us/

10. bobsyouruncle

Thank you will save that just in case

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. PortableTreasures

PortableTreasures Active Member

Just chiming in to say what a gorgeous opal that is--solid/boulder black opals are always really sort after. Even with a tiny chip, this is still a really winning piece!

Draft saved Draft deleted