Featured Designer Sketch Signed 1922

Discussion in 'Art' started by Geostar, Feb 9, 2023.

1. Geostar

Geostar Member

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Size: 45 cm x 32 cm

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hi! Hi! I've taken the liberty of reposting all your photographs as full image so they're easier for everyone to see.

Debora

IMG_20230126_115652.jpg IMG_20230126_115636.jpg IMG_20230126_115643.jpg IMG_20230126_115704.jpg

Lucille.b, Boland, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think I'd refer to those as fashion illustrations. What part of the world did you find them in?

Debora

Lucille.b, mirana and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. Geostar

Geostar Member

It's one paper, with drawings on both sides.
    I found it in Hungary, but it's probably from Germany. I bought it at a flea market.

Geostar

Lucille.b and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, it's certainly a fun find. And helpful it's dated.

Debora

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Since it is double sided, it may have come out of a fashion designers sketch book.

7. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Marker, watercolor and graphite fashion design sketches. Someone was dreaming of Haute Couture!

Vogue has a great article of 1922 fashion illustrations so you can see what Paris was dreaming up at that time. (Illustrations are more finalized presentation pieces than the workable design sketches you have.)
    https://www.vogue.com/article/is-it-1922-all-over-again-in-fashion/amp

Your artist definitely used marking pens of some type with this piece (the streaked black on back, the thin lines and terminal pooling), which weren't really a thing in 1922 so I wonder if this was created later and marked "1922" as the intended time period for the design? A costume, historical exploration, homage, etc.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    BaseballGames likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's a thought. Does look like marker. And signature initial looks contemporary too.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted