Featured Desk Box 18th century

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James Conrad, Nov 7, 2018.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

In keeping with my annual box pilgrimage, have my eye on this box at Pook, coming up in 2 days, this friday. Supposed to be American, supposed to have it's original hardware, if that is correct, I'd guess last quarter 18th century as the hardware is chippendale. Condition is good, one back board replaced, it ain't Ruth but, it ain't bad!

desk box.jpeg

desk box 2.jpeg

2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

What a surprise inside. All that wonderful wood grain showing on the little wood drawers. Hope you are able to get it.

Bronwen, cxgirl, pearlsnblume and 7 others like this.
  3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

:android::android::android::android:

That's me. Being covetous!

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Me too Silverthwaith!!!!!
    greg

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm right there with you @silverthwait !!!!! James, that IS gorgeous!!!! Hope you win out getting it!!!!!

Bronwen, judy, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  6. James Conrad

Yeah, we shall see, it has a ridiculous estimate, $200-300 and, already 6 bids on it. Thing is, without being able to see the box in person is a serious handicap & no one i know attending sale either so not going to worked up about it.

Ruth box didn't have this problem as it had a provenance, it was once owned by Florene Maine, a Connecticut dealer who was the first or one of the first female dealers to compete with the BIG BOYS (sack, nutting, etc) of her day.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Bronwen, cxgirl, judy and 2 others like this.
  7. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Absolutely Gorgeous James !!! Keep my fingers crossed for you .. :) .. Joy.

Bronwen, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Very nice box, James! Wishing you luck with it!

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@James Conrad, is 25% BP high or average?? And do P & P use fairly low, generic price estimates?? That's what it kind of seemed like going all the way through the site!!! That estimate seems AWFULLY fair for what you want.....unless their estimates usually skyrocket!!!!!

Edit: Whilst I was typing, so were you and answered one of my questions!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bronwen, judy, i need help and 3 others like this.
  10. James Conrad

Well, 25% is average these days, Pook is a quality house & tries to get close on estimate but they are not above throwing a tease estimate into the mix, you know, generate some BUZZ.
    Thing is, if you look at description, it does not say american and nothing about hardware either so that tells me they aren't sure. I contacted them about that issue as it means a GREAT deal in price, here was emailed reply
    Table top desk

American. Original hardware. One backboard replaced.

Here is listing
    https://www.bidsquare.com/online-auctions/pook/chippendale-walnut-table-top-desk-18th-c-1215243

11. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

James, lovely little piece. I would agree American. Inside not as sophisticated as many English pieces. Graining on the right side interesting - almost looks painted on. Good luck.
    Patd

Bronwen, judy, Christmasjoy and 3 others like this.
  12. James Conrad

LOL, well, i hope you are right! Still, when one considers the difference in price between english or american could easily be 10 times or more, hoping doesn't quite cut it.
    It's not ALL american chauvinism that accounts for price difference but it is a major factor, no doubt. Fact is, american pieces of that era are much more rare, GB had a much larger population, much larger middle class as well, they weren't fighting indians, trying to survive on the frontier, bla bla bla.
    Bottom line is, there are A LOT more objects still around from GB than America from this era, more rare = more valuable, simple as that.

Bronwen, Aquitaine, judy and 3 others like this.
  13. James Conrad

It's very nice figured walnut, not quite burl but headed that way on entire box.

14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wow, I really hope you get it, James. It is a gorgeous box.

15. James Conrad

Me too! but, not knowing it's origin is a serious problem and i'm willing to gamble a bit because even if english, it's a nice box but thousands is not gonna happen as i can't examine the box.

16. Christmasjoy

I browsed through the catalogue .. LOVELY Items !! But I'm rather partial to the Faberge silver and enamel box !!! maybe if my ship comes in ??? HaHaHa ... Joy. :)

17. James Conrad

whats the lot #? lets look at it!

Yes, auction houses are into their xmas sale period, trying to dislodge dollars from the shoppers. A bit of everything in these sales and not only at Pook either, all up and down eastern seaboard and west into Ohio at Garth's.

Bronwen, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  18. Christmasjoy

I'll go look for the lot # James .. I know it was within the first few pages .. Joy.

Bronwen and judy like this.
  19. James Conrad

20. James Conrad

Draft saved Draft deleted