Dhokra tribal art statue candle holder

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Lio, May 14, 2022.

1. Lio

Lio New Member

Dear Community,
    I am selling this Dhokra tribal art brass statue. I may be mistaken, however, based on my research, that should be the right explanation.
    I am open for any offers and available for questions.
    Kind regards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome @Lio . I think you are only to post in the 'sell' forum if you have been a member for longer.

It is Dhokra, btw, not Dhorka.;)

judy and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  3. Lio

Lio New Member

Oh boy, this is embarrassing. Sorry for this mistake. May I remove the post? Or where can I get further information about the statue, so I come back better informed?
    Thank you very much, and apologies ;)

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

That's OK.:)
    You can still edit the title and the post, and one of the Moderators can move this thread to the Tribal forum. I'll tag them for you, @i need help , @Bookahtoo , @daveydempsey .

The photo is pretty small, but right now it looks like Dhokra ware to me, although I have never seen Dhokra patinized, or as a candlestick (is that what it is?).

judy and daveydempsey like this.
  5. Lio

Lio New Member

Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.
    Yes indeed, it is a candle stick. It's approx. 70cm high. I will uploadanother picture hereafter

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  6. Lio

Lio New Member

... and one more (if not too inconvenient for you)
    ...and one more, in case this could be of any help

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Thanks, with the candlestick part it is bound to be fairly recent.
    The patination is puzzling and could be modern too, I'll tag someone else for you. @2manybooks any ideas?

You are allowed to post the photos full image:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2022
    Born2it, judy and Lio like this.
  8. Lio

Lio New Member

In regard to patination, know that.when i scrubbed it of, it became brass alike, woth a goldish shiny tint

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Yes, that is the brass underneath. It is brass cast using the lost wax technique, but you probably came across that information already.
    This is site has more information on Dhokra ware and shows the technique:
    https://www.veniceclayartists.com/dhokra-tribal-art/

judy and Lio like this.
  10. Lio

Lio New Member

This indeed was the source I have been able to find. It is very interesting to learn about this. Thank you.
    I now feel bad, however, to just come here and sell it. I appreciate this cultural crafted techniques and efforts put into it.
    Yet, I have no use for it, and it doesn't fit my home style.
    Do you think anyone would be interested? Maybe even you, I can give it away to someone who appreciates this art. Concerning the monetary worth, i have no clue, so I might just as well give it into 'good hands'...

Born2it and judy like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

I think you''ll have more chance on an actual selling platform, like ebay, or a local one. You can also check ebay to see what the asking price could be.

Please don't feel bad about selling it. The craft is old and traditional, but most Dhokra items are made to be sold abroad.
    Thank you for the kind offer, but this one is not for me.

12. Lio

Lio New Member

Would you have any rough estimation on the pricing that I could post it on eBay? (Selling from Luxembourg)

13. Any Jewelry

I have no idea, sorry.
    Fellow Beneluxian here, from the Netherlands.;)
    Do you have a local selling platform in Luxembourg, or do you use one in France, Germany or Belgium? That could also be an option. I remember from the past that German selling platforms don't make a fuss if you're not in Germany, but Belgian platforms do if you don't have a Belgian postal code.

Some people from Luxembourg even sell on our Dutch 'Marktplaats', so maybe that is an option. They don't charge commission or any other fees, which is good. https://www.marktplaats.nl/

judy and Lio like this.
  14. Lio

Lio New Member

Great pleasure, thanks for sharing. Selling platforms in Luxembourg are limited to facebook marketplace. Marktplaats looks good, I will post it there. Still I have no clue on what price to offer. The Netherlands are close enough for me to drive up there and deliver

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

judy and Potteryplease like this.
  16. Lio

Lio New Member

2manybooks and judy like this.
  17. Any Jewelry

You can post it in English, you wouldn't be the first one to do so on Marktplaats.
    If you'd rather post it in Dutch and need help translating your text, just ask. Any other translation help, just ask too.:)

Lio likes this.
  18. Lio

Lio New Member

Dank uw wel, for offering support for translation. I might get back to you on that. I decided to first clean the statue, before posting... this will take a while ;)

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Graag gedaan.:)
    I think it was intentionally patinated, but I agree, the clean look is more traditional.

Lio likes this.
  20. Lio

Lio New Member

Interesting, I didn't know. I should have left it then, maybe? Although now that some is off already, i should keep on going
    Bedankt :)

Draft saved Draft deleted