Diamond and Gold ring from Salvation Army

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by fluterific00, Aug 13, 2020.

1. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

This year, I found my gold ring at Salvation army for $6 It's not marked, but the diamonds seem to test positive and the gold cleaned up nicely. Any idea on value?

Attached Files:

KSW and Joan like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-8-13_23-21-56.jpeg

This is not a site for valuations.
    We can and will point u in the right direction to find a fair market value on your own.
    It's a nice photo , but not nearly enuf for anyone here to make a call on it's value.

3. fluterific00

fluterific00 Member

Oh ok. Thanks for that. Any idea on when it may have been made?

judy likes this.
  4. komokwa

the design doesn't speak to me of any particular era .
    The jewelry gals would know better....but may not visit the Intro Forum...looking for Jewelry....so....
    @kyratango
    @evelyb30
    @Any Jewelry
    @Hollyblue

( just to name a few..);)

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Great find and it is a very pretty ring. It is best to have it tested.
    Agewise it is a bit too recent for my field of interest or knowledge, but I would guess post 1970. Some of the others will probably be able to narrow the date down.
    More photos, of the ring itself from different sides, will help.

@daveydempsey could you move this to the Jewelry forum?:)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Same opinion than Any Jewelry:)
    Can't say for the diamonds which seem very dull, maybe a good soak in warm water with dishwasher soap, then carefully brush with soft toothbrush will clean more.
    Anyway a jewellery will tell you if genuine, what weight and quality.
    A pic isn't enough to give more info you need:(

KSW, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

A drop of vodka or gin works well.

Aquitaine, KSW and komokwa like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

I use 70% alcohol to clean jewellery. I've got a gold and diamond ring soaking in it right now. Why do people swab porridge all over their jewellery?;)

9. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your find -- very pretty. You might get a rough idea of value by searching the sold listings on eBay for "vintage bypass diamond ring," but it would help if you knew whether it's 10K or 14K gold, and the total carat weight (ctw) of the diamonds (assuming they are diamonds). You could try an online diamond weight calculator (I've never used one, but here's one example https://goodcalculators.com/diamond-weight-calculator/). You would need to measure the different size diamonds (if they're accessible enough in the setting) with a millimeter gauge something like the one below. Your ring appears to have two or maybe three different size diamonds, so you would only need to measure one of each, then count the number of each size and multiply by carats shown on the calculator. The color, clarity, and how the diamonds are cut will also affect the ring's value.

millimeter-gauge.jpg

10. c.free

c.free Active Member

Because the don’t know about vodka! I learn something new every day! Is the vodka still safe to dink afterwards?

Tanya, Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  11. c.free

c.free Active Member

drink I mean. It appears that I have had enough already. I am incapable of using emojis. I try but they do not show up post post. However, the do show up pre-post.

12. komokwa

:arghh:...just click the menu...task bar....above...and our emos show up below...
    :banghead::banghead::banghead::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::inpain::inpain::inpain::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::playful:

Any Jewelry, kyratango and Aquitaine like this.
  13. c.free

c.free Active Member

:wideyed::wideyed::):happy:sweet thanks!!!!

KSW, Any Jewelry, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

LATE TO THE SCENE, but have 2 quick questions...... @i need help, @komokwa and whoever else would like to chime in, please???? I'm looking at the metal & diamond test kits on Amazon....both seem to be in the $18.00 USD dollar category each.....does that sound about right or am I missing something???? ALSO, are those skinny metal files needed in particular....I wouldn't want to do any damage to any piece of any item I might be testing and don't want them if they're NOT NEEDED!!!! THANK YOU in ADVANCE!!!

KSW and komokwa like this.
  15. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I have the metal test kit from Amazon. I looked for the cheapest kit, as they are all from the same manufacturer, PuriTest. One of the best things I ever bought.
    It works great, and now I can test all my jewelry finds and know for sure what I have. I will say, though, that the silver solution expired and I had to replace it after 3 years. The color changed and it no longer worked.

I have never used a file to test any of my jewelry, so I cannot recommend filing.

I also have the cheapie Diamond Selector II. It works!
    You just have to get the hang of using it.

Figtree3, KSW, Aquitaine and 4 others like this.
  16. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I wish I could help, Aqui, but I’ve never bought these testers.
    Stracci seems to have done some awesome research!

KSW, Aquitaine, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  17. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

If you "dink" enough, you will feel good and not worry where it has been.

c.free, i need help, KSW and 3 others like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

I use puritest as well, and replace the silver solution regularly. That's all, and it is all cheap.
    I never use those, I always use the testing stone that came with puritest. I would never recommend damaging anything.

i need help, KSW, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  19. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Thanks ALL!!! Just what I needed to hear!!!!

20. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

I stopped using the silver solution a long time ago as it went bad so fast, now just use the 18k acid which works quite nicely. (cheaper too)

Draft saved Draft deleted