Featured Diamond Ring c. 1915

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by DBinSV, Apr 11, 2018.

1. DBinSV

DBinSV Active Member

Is it possible to surmise anything about the diamond (assuming it is genuine), in the ring in the photo? It is approximately 8 mm in diameter.

This is my grandmother’s wedding ring, which I am preparing at this time to pass along to my niece, together with some basic notes, to help her better appreciate the keepsake.

As far as I know, it was purchased in the area of St. Petersburg, Russia around 1915.

Thank you!
    Diamond_Ring_Close-Up_1.jpg Diamond_Ring_Close-Up_2.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That cut looks later. Anything on the inside of the band?

3. DBinSV

DBinSV Active Member

Nothing on the band that I can see. I suppose it's possible that they started with a simple gold band and the ring was purchased later by my grandfather in either Lithuania during the '20s or Germany during the 30s.

judy likes this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The modern round brilliant started in 1919,this stone appears to have a flat culet which was still being cut into the 1930's.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Traditional wedding rings in Europe were not and are not stone set. I'd call this an engagement ring. Nice illusion pave setting.

judy likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a stone that size.....get it to a jeweler for an appraisal.......:wideyed::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm sure your niece will love it even more when she knows it's a 2 carat VVS1 G color , $ 12,000 stone !

& she can laud it in the face of the nephew who got the little ivory carving.....:banghead::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

One of the bitty diamonds is missing, but that's easily replaced. That could be a seriously good rock if it's not white zircon or something, which I beg leave to doubt. There's a premium on diamonds over a carat, and the bigger they get the faster the price goes up. The setting could easily be platinum, and if not it's white gold.

(and if I had that, and a guy, he wouldn't have to buy me a ring; I'd wear that one.)

8. komokwa

I'd wear it just to see the looks on girls faces !!!!!!:hilarious:

Aquitaine, kyratango, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The two swirls of the design indicate a union of two, a bit like 'toi et moi' rings, except this has one central stone. Classic engagement ring shape of ca 1910-20, although it may have been used later as well.
    Here is one with a similar swirl design, slightly different execution:

upload_2018-4-12_14-30-14.jpeg
    "Edwardian Diamond and Platinum Topped Gold Engagement Ring with Hand Engraved Shank"
    http://www.langantiques.com/university/Engagement_Rings:_A_Backward_Glance

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

All of the above. This one you definitely need to have professionally appraised. Ring must have looked so modern when it was bought.

11. DBinSV

DBinSV Active Member

Thank you so much to everyone, for your many helpful and informative comments!

My wife is (understandably) reluctant to invest much money in appraisals for things that I am giving away.

Could anyone educate me a bit about the appraisal process? For example, how I would identify an appropriate appraiser and the likely range of cost for appraising such a ring? (We live in the area known as Silicon Valley.)

Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  12. komokwa

Ask around if any of your friends can recommend a jeweler.....
    If you have no friends , hit the web and find what look to be credible jewelers in your area.
    March into a couple of them.....ask if they have a Gemologist on staff, if they do appraisals.....and what the cost is !
    Some will charge a standard fee for a written document........but some may be nice enough to give you a verbal ID, on the spot.

Silicon Valley ....gotta be a jeweler or two in that area !!

Aquitaine, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

We're just saying that there's no way for us to evaluate the quality of the stone. If this is something you would like to convey to your niece along with the ring, you will have to have a professional do it. Or pass it along with its family history & let your niece have it appraised if she wants an idea of monetary value in addition to its sentimental worth. My jeweller would probably charge $100 to appraise it & I also live somewhere prices in general are high. Depending on where she lives, your niece may be able to have it done for less.

Aquitaine, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. komokwa

At least have someone look at it for a verbal ....tell ya what they think about it....

15. Ownedbybear

If you're giving it to family, I'd not bother having it appraised.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

I agree with Obb.
    Your niece and nephew are getting some wonderful things, related to their family history, which is their own history. They can appreciate the items for their beauty and heritage.

kyratango likes this.
  17. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Here in France this shape is classical, called "tourbillon" I don't know if it is called swirl ring in English :)

Sure! There is so much variation in price depending on colour, clarity and cut... the famous 3 C criteria :)
    Interesting site (in French...:bucktooth:) about diamond pricing, conversion from millimeters to carats:
    http://www.diamants-infos.com/divers/index.php?rub=prix&module=prix

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

We call it 'slagring' in Dutch, reminiscent of a 'zweepslag' or whiplash.
    Alternatively 4 C, carat, colour, clarity and cut. I agree with the others, none of the Cs can be determined from photos.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If I found it in a church sale like the one I was at today, it would be a Gimme ring - as in Gimme that!(LOL) The niece ought to have it GIA certified for insurance purposes, but the OP doesn't need to go that far.

kyratango likes this.
  20. komokwa

If I were giving it away, I'd want to know what it was first.

a nice CZ on silver, or a flawless rock on platinum....

Draft saved Draft deleted