Dick Baringer Watercolor Portrait

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I purchased this painting about 7-8 years ago in a local thrift store in Michigan. I have always wondered if it was by Chicago (later New York) artist and architect Richard E. Baringer. I live about 2.5 hrs from Chicago and have a number of Chicago artists in my collection. I have only been able to find one reference where he was referred to as Dick Baringer and that was in a book about the Hyde Park neighborhood in Chicago. His fine art seems to always be signed R. Baringer and his architectural drawings are usually labeled Richard E. Baringer. The painting looks like it was probably done in the 1940's or maybe 50's. I guess it is possible it was something he did as a student or possibly did to give to a personal friend. There was no additional information on the frame or on the back of the paper. The paper is blind stamped with what looks like Strathmore Student. Any help would be greatly appreciated. IMG_1095.jpg IMG_1096.jpg

i need help and komokwa like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1940s. And does looks like the product of a watercolor class. Don't see any reason why it couldn't be the Dick Baringer. Can you post a photograph of his full signature for comparison?

Debora

i need help and Pat P like this.
  3. Lithographer

Unknown.jpg fdb889d4a19f2efb73521da386399151.jpg

i need help likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hum.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

IMG_1096.jpg

i need help likes this.
  5. Lithographer

Yes, that is what I have been pondering on over the years. I was hoping to find a signed architectural drawing to see if the penmanship might be different on those.

i need help likes this.
  6. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Sigs have no real similarity...

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No, not really. And it's not just the letter formation. One is written with artistic brio and the other looks like the work of an architect.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted