Different Statues, African? Indonesia?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Mithrur, Dec 23, 2022.

1. Mithrur

Mithrur Member

Good Morning to All

I found those 4 Statues in the house of my Parents.
    The largest has around 50cm in height.

Where are they from and about how old are they?

Thank you for every help.
    I wish you all a wonderful Christmas season

Mithrur IMG_20221222_143026_HDR1.jpg IMG_20221222_142911_HDR1.jpg IMG_20221222_143311_HDR1.jpg IMG_20221222_143201_HDR1.jpg IMG_20221222_143129_HDR1.jpg IMG_20221222_143241_HDR1.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. Mithrur

Mithrur Member

I guess the second head on the right side is from Kenya. That is about all I found out :(

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

all African........circa 1980's give or take......10 years either way..imo

Potteryplease and Mithrur like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The figures with the elongated ears and sculpted hair represent Maasai, but are not necessarily made by them. The Maasai live in Kenya and Tanzania.

Figtree3 and Potteryplease like this.
  5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Several groups in East Africa (Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique) make carvings such as these for sale to tourists, Makonde among the earliest (1930s on), with the Kamba, Kikuyu and Maasai beginning post WWII. Any might depict different tribal types popular with tourists.

The Makonde are known for working with African Blackwood, a dense, dark colored species. The Kamba and others tend to work with softer, lighter colored woods.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I think the kneeling woman may be a Baule figure from the Ivory Coast. I say that only because I have one thats not very dissimilar that was appraised as such before I got it. I cannot confirm the appraisal or that yours is similar enough to qualify, but it’s a start.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3 are kneeling......:p;)

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Well that’s a pretty damn good point isn’t it!? The small one in the second photo is the one I was referring to. Lol.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

No Baule here. The small kneeling woman with the wire wrapped neck is very typical Kamba work from Kenya.

The kneeling woman with the large headress may be from Tanzania, like this one identified by an original tag as "hand carved in Tanganyika" (now Tanzania):
    Tanganyikan carving.jpg
    https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/african-tribal-ebony-woman-wood-bust-1870430278

Figtree3 and J Dagger like this.
  10. Mithrur

Mithrur Member

Hey all

I am always fascinated by how quickly and competently you are helped here. Many thanks for that.

I wish everyone a happy last festive season and a good start to the new year.

Cheers, Mithrur

2manybooks and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted