Different types of scissors

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Snipsa, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Snipsa

Snipsa Active Member

I got these three pairs of scissors in a lot today.

I saw that J. Nowill and sons (Scissors on the right) were known for knives, scissors and surgical instruments. Are these surgical scissors or regular?

The second one is marked UK with a little picture of scissors.

The one on the left is only marked Sheffield England and the nr 81. Any idea on manufacturer? Am I right in assuming the last two scissors are from manicure sets?

Thanks in advance.

Resizer_153927789186410.jpg Resizer_153927789186410.jpg Resizer_15392778918649.jpg Resizer_15392778918648.jpg Resizer_15392778918647.jpg

i need help and judy like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The middle ones are for children - the idea was that the blunt ends were safer. Left hand small are manicure. Right hand larger look like bandage scissors.

Aquitaine, Sandra, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  3. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

The scissors on the left may be embroidery scissors. Manicure scissors usually have a slight curve to the blades.

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Snipsa’s Snippers! :hilarious:

5. Snipsa

Snipsa Active Member

Haha @ineedhelp

And thanks to the rest of you!

I did wonder about the blunt ends of the middle one.

Appreciate all your help as always!

Aquitaine, Sandra and i need help like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I see sewing/embroidery scissors; child's safety scissors; some kind of utility scissors. Bandage scissors as I know them are stainless, because it has to be possible to sterilize them. They have one tip that is designed to slide under the bandage without stabbing the patient, and blades are angled to the handles so that the knuckles of the person using them don't have to come in contact with the skin the patient. These do not look medical at all.

Snipsa, judy, Sandra and 3 others like this.
  7. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I agree with Bronwen !! ... Joy.

Snipsa, Bronwen, judy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

I've manicure scissors with straight blades. I don't mean bandage removal scissors: those are typical of the kind found in old First Aid kits.

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

They look very heavy-duty for cutting gauze or tape. I'd hate to cut gauze with those short blades, if these date to a time before pre-cut individually packaged pads. Well, just because they're not optimal doesn't mean they're not what was included. Have you seen them in a context where it was clear they were original equipment & not thrown in later? Military issue?

Snipsa and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/John_Nowill_and_Sons

1914 Manufacturers of pen, pocket and sporting knives, scissors, razors, table cutlery, sterling silver and electro-plate, razor strops, home barber's "Gripper" cartridge knives, regulating screw scissors, buttonhole and cutting-out scissors, ladies' scissors, secateurs, pruning scissors, lamp scissors, tailors' scissors, shears, pocket cutlery, ladies' and gentlemen's fitted cases, fitted canteens, fish knives and forks, electro-plated and nickel silver spoons and forks. Employees 300. [1]

Snipsa, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Not fine gauze wound covering dressings, but the heavier woven cotton type, used to secure gauze in place. The sort that came as a roll with a paper tape round to hold them. Or even the large sling types. Predating tape, anyhow. Yes, I can remember scissors like that from First Aid kits Ma had when I was a child - I think I still have a pair somewhere. I think even then sterile gauze was in paper packs.

Draft saved Draft deleted