Featured Dining Table (1960s)

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by WoodenHeart, May 4, 2021.

1. WoodenHeart

WoodenHeart New Member

IMG_2274.jpeg IMG_2282a.jpg IMG_2283a.jpg Hello,

We have an extending dining table which I would like to obtain more information on before I potentially put it up for sale.

I think its a 1960s table and has an extending leaf stored at the end of the table (slides in to a groove).

I believe it is teak. The only markings I can find are an ingrained "10" on the underside.

Pictures are attached.

Can anyone identify this - what make is it?

Thanks in advance.

2. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

It does look like a Danish teak dining table from the 60's. Have you checked carefully with a flashlight underneath for any marks or stamps? Many Danish makers used ink stamps that fade over time. Can you post a picture showing the table edge, the apron and how the legs attach to it? What are the dimensions with and without leaf? The leaf storage design is unusual and probably your best bet for determining the maker. Can you post a picture or two that better shows how the leaf slides in to the end?

judy, TraceyB and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. WoodenHeart

WoodenHeart New Member

Many thanks. I will take some more pictures tomorrow and post them. Thank You!

judy and TraceyB like this.
  4. WoodenHeart

WoodenHeart New Member

IMG_2300.jpg IMG_2302.jpg IMG_2303.jpg IMG_2304.jpg Some more photos attached. I will have a thorough look for any more markings this evening. Many thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2021
    judy and TraceyB like this.
  5. mark737

The edge style is not typical of Danish tables - looks more like American or maybe British. Do you know anything about the table, such as where it was purchased, approximate age? Also, the dimensions can be a clue as to country of origin. For example, if the table is exactly 90cm deep as opposed to 36 inches.

judy and Fid like this.
  6. WoodenHeart

WoodenHeart New Member

Apologies for my delayed reply.
    Thanks for all of your help so far.

I measured the table:

It is 86cm wide, 129cm long, the leaf measures 45 cm making the overall length 174cm when extended. So not a standard size - ie exactly 6ft, 2m etc)..?

I believe the table was bought in the early 1960s and was probably bought in the Liverpool / North West area.

judy likes this.
  7. Cabrina

Cabrina Member

8. mark737

@Cabrina Was there more to this link? I looked at their current and prior inventory and didn't see any tables like the OP's.

@WoodenHeart I looked at many tables from the period, Danish, British, Dutch, and others and did not see any like yours. I posted it on another forum with many experts on European MCM furniture (Design Addict) and no one has been able to ID it so far.

James Conrad likes this.
  9. Cabrina

Cabrina Member

No, there wasn't more to the link. It looked similar to mine which is a Hornslet Mobelfabrik rosewood, until I realized you mentioned the edging. Still unable to find one like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted