Featured Dishwater Antiques w/ Herbal Motifs?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by MacMorrighan, Jul 27, 2017.

1. MacMorrighan

MacMorrighan Active Member

I am a Herbalist, and I take a great deal of inspiration from the plant world, since I use herbs a great deal in my cooking. (My brown butter dark chocolate chip cookies with lavender are....fantabulous!!!) Can anyone recommend any antiques or vintage dish ware with a herbal motif, but a fine hand along the lines of transferware? While transferware does have rose motifs, the rose is just a bit too showy and even gaudy for my personal sense of aesthetics. Whereas herbs such as lavender, mint, and bee balm yield a more of a "country" vibe, if that makes sense. I am also looking for bakeware that features herbs that I can use if anyone of you find individuals can recommend something to look into. :)

Take Care,
    Wade

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Not too swift here.
    You do not want transferware? You want older handpainted?
    What is dishwater, or do you mean you want things that can go in the dishwasher?

3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

4. MacMorrighan

Ghopper1924 and KingofThings like this.
  5. MacMorrighan

That was an autocorrect SNAFU that I didn't catch. "Dishwater" should have been "dishware." It's not that I *don't* want transfer ware, but that I haven't come across a pattern that I personally like. In fact, if they have any with a herbal motif, other than roses, I would absolutely be excited about that!

Ghopper1924 and KingofThings like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hey, Wade... Are you familiar with Nicholas Mosse of Ireland?

Here's an example of his work. Side plate in "Clover."

Nicholas Mosse Clover.jpg

https://nicholasmosse.com

(Warn you, not inexpensive.)

Debora

Figtree3, judy and KingofThings like this.
  7. clutteredcloset49

Well what came to mind was Portmeirion "Botanical Garden". But I thought you were asking for older dishes. These are good everyday, dishwasher, microwave safe. I was thinking there were more herbs than flowers.

It is not inexpensive and replacements is not the place to start shopping.
    Have a look through, you can mix and match or keep to all one pattern.
    http://www.replacements.com/webquote/prtbog.htm

also saw this:
    http://www.replacements.com/webquote/prtvar.htm

Figtree3 and KingofThings like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

In little letters at the bottom of your post is an Edit button. It's only there for a few hours after you post.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

These are nice. From Buckeye Stoneware Pottery. Also discontinued.

Debora

il_fullxfull.1262631163_ow59.jpg

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

(Obviously, I have too much time on my hands.)

Debora

12. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

But it is time well spent - informative and amusing - and we'd HATE it if you found other things to do with that time................

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah-shucks. Ain't you sweet.

Debora

14. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

OK, i clicked this because of "dishwater antiques", Debora saved the thread!

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You could look at Flora Danica plates - high end and definitely not dishwasher safe. (Well who knows... if they're still making them, maybe new ones are.)

From Wikipedia:
    In 1790 the Danish Crown Prince Frederik ordered a dinner set made decorated with exact copies of the plates of Flora Danica. The dinner set was meant as a gift for Russian Empress Catherine II. Catherine, however, never received it, as she died in 1796. It is currently on display at Christiansborg Palace, Amalienborg Palace and Rosenborg Castle.

The dinner set is still in use for state occasions in the Christiansborg Palace in Copenhagen. Copies of the set are sold by the Royal Copenhagen Porcelain Manufactory.

16. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

CC's Portmeiroion came to mind - also because you can often pick pieces up at resale/thrifts

KingofThings and Figtree3 like this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Porcelaine de Paris did a pattern "Herbes Folles" (now discontinued) that might be of interest. Cooking pieces as well.

Debora

P0000381564S0001T2.jpg

18. clutteredcloset49

If you want a simple fine china
    Limoges Clover
    upload_2017-7-28_10-29-24.png

19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Another one that I came upon by accident is Mottahedah's "Merian" pattern. Theirs is more expensive porcelain, though. So may not be what you want. The company has been around for 90 years and they do have some other patterns with botanical motifs.

https://www.mottahedeh.com/brands/mottahedeh/filter/pattern/merian.html

It's so expensive that I only have a few small cups that I bought through eBay once.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted