Featured Ditty Boxes

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Rabid Collector, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Rabid Collector

Rabid Collector Well-Known Member

Hi All, has anyone ever come across a ditty box without a lock before. My great grandfather’s ditty box is unmistakably a ditty box because although some of the inside has been removed, you can still see where the pencil/pen tray went and the letter/photo rack in the lid used to sit. It also has the named brass plate but no key hole for a lock or any sign that a hole has been filled in or the wood replaced; it all looks original. All the other ditty boxes I have seen have come with a lock and a key hole. Any information greatly received. Thanks.

4AE5864F-027B-49A2-9E46-C806D63F5C48.jpeg D496EEAF-D6D8-4464-835A-DD1D1334B296.jpeg

kyratango, Michael77 and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have an affinity for boxes and have never seen one without a lock, no matter what it was for. Intriguing

Christmasjoy, Michael77 and Figtree3 like this.
  3. Rabid Collector

Yes I’ve never seen one like this either. I’ve been doing some digging and it appears that he was a petty officer telegraphist in the Royal Navy. In not sure if this makes any difference.

Christmasjoy and Michael77 like this.
  4. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Typewriter box maybe?

Christmasjoy and Michael77 like this.
  5. Rabid Collector

Thanks for the idea Shwikman, but I think it’s definitely a ditty box as it has all the markings of one ie. the pen tray and the correspondence holder in the lid; everything a sailor would need at sea.

jsnggltt, Christmasjoy and Michael77 like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

"Ditty box" is a new term to me. I can look it up, but if anybody wants to explain, that would be great.

7. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I haven't looked it up, but living with a sailboat guy, I know a ditty BAG is to hold all your sailor-y stuff.

Or that's how I think of it. The sailboat guy might be appalled at how little I have learned over the years. :hilarious:

Christmasjoy, KSW, Bakersgma and 4 others like this.
  8. Figtree3

He doesn't read this forum, does he? :)

9. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Not as far as I know. :nailbiting::p

10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Could it have had leather straps round it originally?
    There are some faint marks on the front that look as if there were?

11. jsnggltt

jsnggltt Well-Known Member

May I suggest you check with the crew that works here:

http://www.clipper-maritime-antiques.co.uk

They should be able to help you as to the lock/no lock question.

They do show a Ditty Box on their site w/no lock, though it looks more like something you would keep at home. Much less sturdy than yours.

Rabid Collector likes this.
  12. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Maybe he rode a bicycle to work and kept it in the box in the office. In any case it is certainly a box with or without the ditty.

Rabid Collector likes this.
  13. Rabid Collector

So a ditty box is a box that a sailor in the British Royal Navy would have to keep valuables and personal belonging in such as cigars, cigarettes, postcards and letters from loved one. I’ve seen many of these with locks but never one without and the irony is that there was a culture of absolute trust on these ships so no one ever locked their ditty boxes even if they did have a lock and key. Later these boxes became ditty bags which were much cheaper to produce. My box is from around the early 1900s and was used by my great Grandfather throughout the First World War.

Jivvy and Figtree3 like this.
  14. Rabid Collector

It’s a good thought. I’ve never seen one but it’s possible.

KSW likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Thanks very much, @Rabid Collector -- I had only done some superficial searches of the term and am glad to have some extra information.

KSW and Rabid Collector like this.
  16. Rabid Collector

My pleasure. They are interesting items as each one is unique and personal to the individual who owned it even though they all look very similar:)

KSW and Figtree3 like this.
  17. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

My Father served in the Royal Navy for 26yrs ..including the war years .. he had a ditty box and when I asked my mum what was in it she said "Bits and Pieces and mind your own business " !!! ... LOL .. Joy.

Draft saved Draft deleted