Divided lobster dish

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by barbiegirl, Nov 12, 2019.

1. barbiegirl

barbiegirl New Member

Hello everyone,

Was hoping someone can help me. I have recently found a divided lobster dish with the hallmark that says GERMANY all in red letters with the head and shoulders of a man looks like wearing a military hat facing right. Any help identifying this mark would be greatly appreciated. Dish is possibly from the 1700's

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You know... Germany, as a nation-state, didn't exist in the 1700s. If it's stamped "Germany," it's going to be much more recent. Do post photographs.

Debora

Bakersgma, komokwa and blooey like this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

it wouldn't be from the 1700's as "Germany", as such, did not exist then!

Bakersgma and Debora like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Snap!

komokwa likes this.
  6. barbiegirl

barbiegirl New Member

stuff 010.jpg stuff 009.jpg

Attached Files:

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

German all right, circa 1910 ish

8. barbiegirl

barbiegirl New Member

photographs are posted thank you

Debora likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

For your future reference, the Tariff Act of 1890 made it mandatory that foreign goods being imported into the U.S. carry their country of origin. The law went into effect in 1891.

Debora

pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. barbiegirl

barbiegirl New Member

Thank you for the reply

11. barbiegirl

barbiegirl New Member

How do i find information on this mark in none of my books

12. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It's a generic made in Germany mark used in the early 1900's. There is no way to determine the manufacturer from just this ink mark. As blooey noted this item was produced circa 1910.
    Don

pearlsnblume, barbiegirl and judy like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Fmi, that little red soldier profile isn't a maker's mark?

Debora

14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I don't see that mark? All I see is the word Germany and the number 1 under that.
    Don

15. barbiegirl

barbiegirl New Member

I am helping my boyfriend figure on value of his late mother's collectibles and antiques. she has many unique things any suggestions that might help?

Attached Files:

16. barbiegirl

barbiegirl New Member

i
    it is very hard to see but it it is a soldier wearing a hat

17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

How nice of you. If you go on eBay's Completed Listings and search for "divided lobster plate Germany," similar will come up. That will give you an idea of collector interest. Do keep in mind that maker and condition impact value.

Debora

Fid and pearlsnblume like this.
  18. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It may be that I can't quite see as well as I used to. I don't recognize the mark by a verbal description. Hopefully someone will come along who recognizes it. I'm looking forward to seeing the other items you have, though. Maybe I can be more helpful with those!
    Don

blooey likes this.
  19. barbiegirl

barbiegirl New Member

I really appreciate all the help I can get as I said she has many unique things. I will post as soon as I can

20. barbiegirl

barbiegirl New Member

Thank You for the information I will do that.

Draft saved Draft deleted