DKR Chair Cushions

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Aethelstan, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Aethelstan

Aethelstan New Member

I recently inherited a set of 4 original, mid-century DKR wire chairs. The bikini cushions are fraying and dirty and I would like to replace them. Herman Miller charges $200-250 each. That price seems excessive. Even $100 each seems excessive. Any ideas?

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Is this the style you are talking about?

chair.jpg I'm thinking even a local upholsterer would charge more than $100.

Lucille.b, Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  3. Aethelstan

Aethelstan New Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would be extremely cautious. Often times, replacing original upholstery can greatly harm the value of an item. If you absolutely must replace them and you want to retain some value, then the best thing to do would to go back to the original source. If you don't care about retaining value, than ask your local upholsterer to make something up. But don't discard the original cushions just in case you want to resell some day.

On their web site, Herman Miller provides this direction. If you haven't done so already, you might want to visit those sites and see if you can compare values for all original vs. not.

As to the value of your product, many of our customers have found these resources helpful for determining the authenticity and value of older Herman Miller products.

Value My Stuff
    WorthPoint
    Treadway Gallery

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted