Featured Do all these glass beads belong together?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, May 13, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Before I wash and restring them, would you say these beads started out together?
    I'm suspicious of the oval blue beads as they look out of place and later?. Wondering if they should all be faceted.
    The large pressed/carved/mounded bead is decorated with grapes and leaves. The elongated clear beads have what looks like clam shells decorating either end.
    Any information welcome on these decorated beads please.
    Thankyou :)
    FullSizeRender.jpg IMG_6006.JPG IMG_6007.JPG IMG_6008.JPG IMG_6010.JPG IMG_6009.JPG

2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Hard to know for sure, but love the pressed and cut ones. I think a chance it's original, but can see why you are asking. Kind of a shift in bead style. Hmmm... not sure. The blue oval smooth ones seem to have some quality too, so maybe the easiest thing is just to restring as is. Does the necklace just fit over the head?

3. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Ohmygosh, I love those beads! Especially the clear ones...I wonder if they are crystal (have you looked closely for bubbles)?

pearlsnblume, KSW, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd say odds are good that's original; I've seen a lot of Czech necklaces not too far off. The string really does need to go; that cotton parts ways with beads early and often.

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It would be on the short side by modern standards however there is no clasp so I suspect they broke and someone just threaded them onto a piece of cord. The blue matches very well too.
    i haven't as it didn't occur to me they could be crystal!. They are in a bubble bath at the moment so I'll look when they are clean.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I agree with Evelyb - they are probably original and restrung. You should redo and knot in between.
    You say they are short. Can you get it over your head? It should have a clasp.

Bronwen, antidiem and KSW like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

No, too short to go over head. I have lots of clasps especially spring rings or the ones that come on old pearl necklaces. That type or something different?. Do these decorated beads date from a certain time?.
    Definitely going to knot in between!.

Bronwen and antidiem like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

These had an old spring ring originally - probably worn down to the brass by now. If you have one like that you're in business. A sport ring would get the job done too, or any old clasp. I've used modern toggles before. It's going to be a clear restring, and the beads aren't crazy valuable, so use whatever you will be able to clasp around your own neck. Those fishhooks are a pain in the neck, or at least the fingers.

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

No bubbles but test as glass. Good idea to check though as I wouldn't have thought of that.

wenna likes this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have a Victorian necklace with almost the same stones, except for that big crystal. I always thought it was Czech glass.

KSW likes this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Has yours got a clasp @Bev aka thelmasstuff ?

Draft saved Draft deleted