Do People still collect Tea cups ??

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by GreenEyedGal, Sep 12, 2021.

1. GreenEyedGal

GreenEyedGal Well-Known Member

0388144B-0F2B-4492-B2C1-D746812416B6.jpeg FCAC2C9D-E776-4260-AAE0-3FCC106C13F3.jpeg 5B59A4C7-7730-4FCE-AF7B-8EFA52E3040A.jpeg 3D986DB4-4B72-42D4-9D58-495B082AA2FF.jpeg Hi All!
    I picked this Cup & Saucer yesterday , ( only because the guy at an estate sale ) “those tea cups are a quarter a piece , but you have to buy 4 “ so I wandered over and picked the most aesthetically pleasing to my eye and ended up with this one in particular. Upon investigation I was rather pleased but do people buy teacups much any more ?

Bronwen likes this.
  2. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

It is a english company- Paragon China- and this tea cup was made in 1940. They began exporting to America in 1930's. Paragon has royal warrants of appointments from several members of the royal family. Yes, people do still collect english tea cups and English porcelain. You cannot really use them, due to the heavy metals. If you could then i think they would be widly popular. However they are certainly still collected. I have Paragon tea set and my tea set does appear to be a very basic mid century export. Nothing special, however they must have some quality sets.

NewEngland and Bronwen like this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Look at sold auctions on ebay for Paragon Pansies. It was made in several colors.

NewEngland, Bronwen and GreenEyedGal like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

When checking Paragon, add DW (double warrant), which this is. There are people who specifically collect those.

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I think @bluumz collects Paragon.

bluumz, Bronwen and GreenEyedGal like this.
  6. GreenEyedGal

Wow! Thank you for the wealth of information. I did not even look at the bottoms of any of the cups I got , I just grabbed the pretty ones ‍♀️ the others are Bavarian, German I believe…

Francisco G Kempton and Bronwen like this.
  7. GreenEyedGal

Thank you!

Bronwen likes this.
  8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Yikes, I'll be dying an early death, then!
    (I use mine regularly.)

I do have several Paragon sets, though I collect other English china as well. :)

The double warrant mark on OP's set was used from 1939-1949. I can't quite tell what the main color of the set is...? Is it white?
    If you choose to sell, you'd likely get $100-$200 US on eBay, assuming no cracks, crazing, chips, or stains. Good find!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    bercrystal and i need help like this.
  9. Francisco G Kempton

https://tamararubin.com/2018/11/dishes/

This site has a list of most Porcelain makers vintage and antique and the levesl of lead in specific makers and designs. Scroll down for the full list.

10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Thanks! This is something that never occurred to me.
    Further research seems to indicate that, for adults at least, there's really not too much concern unless the integrity of the glaze is compromised... though some glazes contain lead, too.
    Nevertheless, I intend to throw caution to the winds and continue to use my antique c&s sets. (And to clarify, by "regular" use I mean that I pick one out and use it about once or twice weekly. Otherwise I use modern china/pottery... though I understand that lead can be an issue in modern stuff, too!)

Francisco G Kempton likes this.
  11. Francisco G Kempton

Hi Bluumz,

Yes, I understand your knowledgeable on the subject as i have read previous antiquers threads on the issue of lead in porcelain and you seem to have a good understading of it from reading your posts.

Paragon is not listed in that site and indeed may not contain lead in the glaze. I too occasionally might use a vintage porcelain, and I have large Rice bowl which i am sure is dodgy but is so big it is perfect for a good bowl of rice krispies.

bluumz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted