Do Signatures on Porcelain Objects Suggest Age? "Hache" - Post 1

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Nov 11, 2019.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

In my never ending efforts to learn about antiques, I have recently run across two porcelain objects that have signatures. The first one is this small bowl with a metal rim that is not magnetic (using the strong earth magnet as recommended here). The painting in the center has "Hache" on it. The reverse has France with the upper line blacked out. From what I gather Hache is a maker, but it seems to be a strange place for a maker's mark to be on front as if it was a signature. What I am trying to discern is whether a signature is an indicator of age. Any insights will be gratefully appreciated. IMG_4335.jpg IMG_4334.jpg IMG_4332.JPG IMG_4331.JPG IMG_4330.JPG IMG_4329.jpg IMG_4336.JPG

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I think Hache is the artist of the center picture. Can you read what’s underneath the black out?

cxgirl, ulilwitch and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Good artist not maker. I could try some chemicals to see if I could remove it but right now nothing.

4. i need help

Looks to me like it starts with an H. Maybe Haviland?

Wait for more knowledgeable folks on this subject.

It’s very pretty! :)

5. KikoBlueEyes

Thanks for your help as always.

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It could very well be a Haviland mark. The font for the word France matches a Haviland mark used from 1894-1931. The word Haviland would be curved. It's unusual to find a Haviland mark blacked out. It may have been sold as a white ware blank and then another company or individual decorated it. As INH noted, the signature is not an indicator of age.
    Don

7. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

LOVE IT !!! ... Joy. :) :):)

8. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Is it a possible A Hache porcelain plate? Just asking.

9. i need help

I’m not familiar with all Hache & Cie marks, but so far I’m not seeing a match.

Christmasjoy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Good question and it might explain why the Haviland mark was blacked out. It would be unusual to sign the company name inside the art work like that but it's possible.
    Don

11. KikoBlueEyes

That is very helpful to look at font style as an indicator. I also appreciate your answer that a signature does not indicate an age. Thank you.

Christmasjoy, i need help and dgbjwc like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you Joy. I was immediately attracted to it, so I thought I would investigate. What I found intrigued me, so I brought it home to share.

Christmasjoy, i need help and judy like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

This is an avenue I wanted to explore also.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

So I should look at marks anyway and only look at the France part and the underline?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

So it could be the maker, since it was another company's blank. This stuff is sure confusing. Does the precious metal rim point to anything? I think it is precious metal because it is not magnetic, but it could be a non magnetic metal too. Do the two impressed circles around the "France" indicate anything?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. i need help

6D526A96-1709-43A8-A6B5-513A25A2434D.jpeg @Aquitaine Can you work any magic, here? :)
    I tried to lighten the mark.

17. KikoBlueEyes

You are marvelous!!!! I never thought to peek under the black. I hope Aqui can shine some light in it.

komokwa, i need help and Christmasjoy like this.
  18. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@i need help.....from what I'm seeing, the best I'm coming up with seems to be something like "Hargalight"?????? And can in no way read the miniscule print under FRANCE...........maybe you can figure it out better than I? And just now reading above (which I did NOT before)....it could very well say HAVILAND!!!!

ZZZZZZ 43A8-A6B5-513A25A2434D.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    komokwa, i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

Do these help with the small print

IMG_4341.JPG IMG_4339.JPG

20. KikoBlueEyes

Aqui Thanks so much for doing this. :kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

Draft saved Draft deleted