Featured Do These Leaves Have a Symbolic Meaning?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Van_Poperin, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

Hello all,

As I am moving, a few things are going into storage or being sold. My mother asked to see anything I wasn’t sure about, and flagged this mug.

I purchased it from a charity shop to hold the pens on my desk and never gave it a second thought, but - as forget-me-nots have symbolic meaning - I now wonder: do the leaves below it also? Of course plants and herbs go in and out of fashion, and the meaning changes too, so I hoped someone here might recognise the style and be able to identify where/when it was made, which might explain the motif. My mother thinks that the blue flowers are for remembering a lost loved one, and I think they are more romantically aimed at the living. Does the second set of leaves decide it?

Edit: cannot seem to get rid of the last image. Hmm. Never mind, you can ignore it as necessary.

580F73DB-1D66-4836-9DDF-4FE165CE2964.jpeg
    CBAEFF16-B892-43CB-80C4-D2FD4C4D0F20.jpeg
    DF5C2E28-1163-4881-95A0-32C4B78A58BE.jpeg

Attached Files:

KSW, KikoBlueEyes, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I wonder if it’s a shaving scuttle?
    But wait for others.
    Maybe acanthus leaves?

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

have a safe move !!!!:happy:

KikoBlueEyes, TraceyB and Van_Poperin like this.
  4. Van_Poperin

Thanks K! :)

5. Van_Poperin

My mother thinks it’s Coriander... but the only meaning I could find for that was “venerie” ;) :p

KikoBlueEyes, judy and TraceyB like this.
  6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

It's sweet. No size given, but considering your use for it, it's likely as already suggested, a shaving mug. Sometimes a flower is just a decorative devise, but if it was intended to impart meaning, a forget-me-not was usually a reminder to not forget the giver (it's actually pretty common on shaving mugs since they were a common gift for men from their ladies or family) - the border of acanthus is one of the endless variations on the motif, which dates back to ancient times.

Was the base broken off and glued back on?

~Cheryl

7. Van_Poperin

So the vote is for acanthus! Well if I sell it (unlikely given my mother’s interest) I’ll pop that in the description, though a shame it’s not something with more of a tradition behind it :) I googled scuttles, and there are a few with forget-me-nots and oak leaves indicated remembrance and longevity, but this is perhaps too cheaply made for the same attention to design. There is a sizeable crack at the base and plenty of chips, but the crack doesn’t go all the way around luckily, so the base has never come away :p

KikoBlueEyes, judy and TraceyB like this.
  8. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Does anybody else think this could be majolica?

patd8643 likes this.
  9. Van_Poperin

I think it likely is, though it could be copied from an older item? My minimal reading-up suggests that majolica is still made today but the copies are not executed so well and aren’t considered “real”. Either way, I know Victorians loved putting symbolism into commercial items so thought it was worth the ask, in case anyone recognised it as a copy :)

10. pixieforpapa

pixieforpapa Member

Look up the cilantro plant...that’s where they get the coriander (& seeds) from. I think I agree with your mother.

11. Van_Poperin

It very much resembles coriander to me too, but the only “meaning” I could find for coriander is “lust” because it was considered an aphrodisiac! I don’t have any books on flower symbolism so I thought I’d ask here, as so many later Victorian objects use flowers in this way :)

pixieforpapa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted