Featured Do these look real to you? - blue glass plates w/ STEUBEN acid mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by quirkygirl, Sep 13, 2016.

1. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Hi all! :)
    I've only ever come across newer Steuben pieces (with a signature, not the fluer-de-lis acid etched mark) so I'm not sure what to look for. I've compared the marks on these to what is shown on the Carder Steuben Club site, and they look like the authentic mark - and not like the fake marks ... but I thought I'd ask if there was anything else I should be aware of.

The glass plates aren't without flaws - (I don't mean chips - there are none of those) .. In the bunch, I noticed a few raised bumps, a small bubble, and one tiny pot stone. I always was lead to believe that Steuben pieces were 'flawless' ... don't know how true this is though ... I've found such manufacturing flaws in Hawkes pieces too.

I am thinking (hoping, would be more accurate ;) ) that these 8½" luncheon plates are the color blue called Celeste Blue ... and I see a very faint optic rib - more apparent on some than others. The bases are totally polished flat with no foot ring and no indent from where a pontil was ground.

What do you guys think?
    P1100225(1).JPG
    P1100228(1).JPG P1100227(1).JPG P1100230(1).JPG P1100231(1).JPG
    same mark - from different angle
    P1100232(1).JPG

wenna, KingofThings, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about the mark, but I'd buy them without that (or any) mark for Steuben, had a few like that. I'm assuming a fully ground bottom.

KingofThings and quirkygirl like this.
  3. quirkygirl

Thanks for looking at them, Cherryhill!
    Yes, the bottoms are fully ground / polished.
    Here are the marks from the next two down the stack (some are very hard to read and/or are incomplete) ...
    plus wanted to show the more uniform coloring and faint optic pattern on a heavier (thicker) plate
    P1100234(1).JPG P1100235(1).JPG P1100233(1).JPG

4. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

They are great!! I have two that I got in corning New York many years ago. Not sure of the colour name but certain they are good.

5. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I believe these are authentic and the color is celeste blue. I have 2 sets, one in pomona green and the other in yellow, and they're marked with the fleur-de-lis. The mark, the pie pan shape, and the size all appear to be correct. Please let me know if you decide to sell them.

6. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Looks like a Good mark to me.

7. quirkygirl

Thank you for looking at them and commenting on their authenticity. Have you noticed the occasional bubble or 'blip' in the glass on yours? That was the aspect that bothered me about mine. As far as parting with them, I'll send you a PM.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. quirkygirl

Thank you for commenting on these ... may I ask how the glass looks on yours? Little imperfections?

KingofThings and bobsyouruncle like this.
  9. quirkygirl

Thank you. :)

KingofThings likes this.
  10. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

yes it does look the same..love steuben and I think in the coloured glass it was not at all unusual to have tiny imperfections. please put me on list for email:)

11. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

AGREE, it's hand made glass, it isn't "Perfect."

12. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Nice plates !!!!! Love the color...

quirkygirl and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted